Thursday, 9 August 2012

Music from the te-amim


A week ago, I determined to learn something of the te-amim. I cannot name them yet - too many people to meet at once, but I can begin to read the music they describe.The full score of my transcription is above.  It does not completely agree with that of David Mitchell. It could be that some of the signs are missing in my Tanakh due to textual variations. Also I decided to write in a triple rhythm, especially since I think this psalm may have been written by a child (for the utter simplicity of its recurrence structure).

Word and gloss * first usage1234567891012345VsRoot
ישׂראל Israel
░
1ישׂראל
יעקב Jacob
░
1עקב
ישׂראל Israel
░
2ישׂראל
הים the sea
░
3ים
* וינס and withdrew
░
3נוס
* הירדן the Jordan
░
3ירדן
יסב was surrounded
░
3סבב
לאחור from behind
░
3אחור
ההרים the hills
░
4הר
* רקדו skipped
░
4רקד
כאילים like rams
░
4איל
* גבעות hillocks
░
4גבע
כבני like -kin
░
4בן
צאן lamb-
░
4צאן
הים sea
░
5ים
* תנוס you withdrew
░
5נוס
* הירדן Jordan
░
5ירדן
תסב that you were surrounded
░
5סבב
לאחור from behind
░
5אחור
ההרים hills
░
6הר
* תרקדו that you skipped
░
6רקד
כאילים like rams
░
6איל
* גבעות hillocks
░
6גבע
כבני like -kin
░
6בן
צאן lamb-
░
6צאן
מלפני from the presence of
░
7פנה
מלפני from the presence of
░
7פנה
יעקב Jacob
░
7עקב
מים waters
░
8מים
מים waters
░
8מים


2 comments:

  1. Greetings! You wrote me privately saying that you wanted my feedback. Most of it is implicit in SHV's own score, which I compare to yours here:

    http://musicofthebiblerevealed.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/psalms-114-melody-only-score/

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - thank you. I will study and compare carefully words and music. I have ordered your translation of SHV's book and persuaded the University Library to get a copy as well.

    ReplyDelete