Sunday 28 January 2024

Psalms 17:8 #Psalmtweet

An interim finale... 

Psalms 17:8

Twitter is still there, but its name has been destroyed. I keep posting out of habit. This then is the last day of the 150 Psalm tweets - and since we haven't reached that ultimate rest of the final doxology, I repeat a prayer that my wife noted to me a few days ago.

This is plural in the compline service. Keep us as the apple of an eye. Hide us under the shadow of thy wings. Note that this verse is connected to the prior verse -- so the music indicates per my thesis -- I have yet to find a counter example. (Though sometimes, it depends perhaps on whether the verse begins with an upbeat or not. -- But it is not impossible that the music co-existed with the text from the beginning -- i.e. that the poet was a musician also.)

But in deference for you, non-musician, read the rest of the psalm and note how full of trouble it is. The more things change the more they stay the same. (Full score is here. No performance is available. Who will sing it for us?)

תְּפִלָּ֗ה לְדָ֫וִ֥ד
שִׁמְעָ֤ה יְהוָ֨ה ׀ צֶ֗דֶק הַקְשִׁ֥יבָה רִנָּתִ֗י הַאֲזִ֥ינָה תְפִלָּתִ֑י
בְּ֝לֹ֗א שִׂפְתֵ֥י מִרְמָֽה
1 A prayer of David.
Hear Yahweh righteousness. Attend to my shout. Give ear to my prayer,
not from lips of deceit.
a tpilh ldvid
wmyh ihvh xdq hqwibh rinti hazinh tpilti
bla wpti mrmh
6
20
6
t/pl\h l/dvd
wmy\h ihvh xdq h/qwb\h rn\ti h/azn\h t/pl\ti
bl\a wp\ti m/rmh
מִ֭לְּפָנֶיךָ מִשְׁפָּטִ֣י יֵצֵ֑א
עֵ֝ינֶ֗יךָ תֶּחֱזֶ֥ינָה מֵישָׁרִֽים
2 ♪g From your presence emerges my judgment.
Your eyes gaze on uprightness.
b mlpniç mwp'ti iixa
yiniç tkzinh miwrim
9
10
ml/pn\ic m/wp't\i ixa
yin\ic t/kz\inh m/iwr\im
בָּ֘חַ֤נְתָּ לִבִּ֨י ׀ פָּ֘קַ֤דְתָּ לַּ֗יְלָה צְרַפְתַּ֥נִי בַל־תִּמְצָ֑א
זַ֝מֹּתִ֗י בַּל־יַעֲבָר־פִּֽי
3 ♪~ You have tested my heart. You have visited in the night. You have refined me till nothing is found.
I intend that my mouth will not go beyond...

g bknt libi pqdt lilh xrptni bl-tmxa
zmoti bl-iybor-pi
17
8
bkn\t lb\i pqd\t lil\h xrp\tni bl t/mxa
zm\ti bl i/ybr p\i
לִפְעֻלּ֣וֹת אָ֭דָם בִּדְבַ֣ר שְׂפָתֶ֑יךָ
אֲנִ֥י שָׁ֝מַ֗רְתִּי אָרְח֥וֹת פָּרִֽיץ
4 About the works of humanity, in the word of your lips,
I myself kept from the paths of one who breaks open.
d lpyulot adm bdbr wptiç
ani wmrti aorkot prix
11
9
l/pyl\vt adm b/dbr wp\tic
ani wmr\ti ark\vt prx
תָּמֹ֣ךְ אֲ֭שֻׁרַי בְּמַעְגְּלוֹתֶ֑יךָ
בַּל־נָמ֥וֹטּוּ פְעָמָֽי
5 Maintain my steps in your tracks.
My footfall does not slip.
h tmoç awurii bmyglotiç
bl-nmo'tu pymii
11
7
tmc awr\i bm/ygl\vtic
bl n/mv't\v pym\i
אֲנִֽי־קְרָאתִ֣יךָ כִֽי־תַעֲנֵ֣נִי אֵ֑ל
הַֽט־אָזְנְךָ֥ לִ֝֗י שְׁמַ֣ע אִמְרָתִֽי
6 I myself have called you because you answer, O God.
Bend your ear to me, hear my promise.
v ani-qratiç ci-tynni al
h't-aoznç li wmy amrti
11
10
ani qra\tic ci t/yn\ni al
h/'t azn\c l\i wmy amr\ti
הַפְלֵ֣ה חֲ֭סָדֶיךָ מוֹשִׁ֣יעַ חוֹסִ֑ים
מִ֝מִּתְקוֹמְמִ֗ים בִּֽימִינֶֽךָ
7 Reserve your kindness, you who save those who take refuge,
from those who arise by your right hand.
z hplh ksdiç mowiy kosim
mmtqommim biminç
11
8
h/plh ksd\ic mv/wy kvs\im
mmt/qvm\mim b/imn\c
שָׁ֭מְרֵנִי כְּאִישׁ֣וֹן בַּת־עָ֑יִן
בְּצֵ֥ל כְּ֝נָפֶ֗יךָ תַּסְתִּירֵֽנִי
8 ♪g Keep me as the daughter pictured in an eye.
In the shadow of your wings, hide me,
k womrni caiwon bt-yin
bxl cnpiç tstirni
9
10
wmr\ni c/aiwvn bt yin
b/xl cnp\ic t/str\ni
מִפְּנֵ֣י רְ֭שָׁעִים ז֣וּ שַׁדּ֑וּנִי
אֹיְבַ֥י בְּ֝נֶ֗פֶשׁ יַקִּ֥יפוּ עָלָֽי
9 from the faces of the wicked that devastate me,
hostile in being encompassing me.

't mpni rwyim zu wduni
aoibii bnpw iqipu ylii
9
10
m/pn\i rwy\im zv wd\vni
aib\i b/npw i/qp\v yl\i
חֶלְבָּ֥מוֹ סָּגְר֑וּ
פִּ֝֗ימוֹ דִּבְּר֥וּ בְגֵאֽוּת
10 Their grossness, they imprison.
Their mouth, they speak with pride.
i klbmo sgru
pimo dibru bgaut
5
7
klb\mv sgr\v
p\imv dbr\v b/ga\vt
אַ֭שֻּׁרֵינוּ עַתָּ֣ה סְבָב֑וּנוּ
עֵינֵיהֶ֥ם יָ֝שִׁ֗יתוּ לִנְט֥וֹת בָּאָֽרֶץ
11 ♪g Our steps now, they surround us.
They have their eyes set, bending over the earth.
ia awurinu yth sbbunu
yinihm iwitu ln'tot barx
10
11
awr\inv yth sbb\vni
yin\ihm i/wit\v l/n't\vt b/arx
דִּמְיֹנ֗וֹ כְּ֭אַרְיֵה יִכְס֣וֹף לִטְר֑וֹף
וְ֝כִכְפִ֗יר יֹשֵׁ֥ב בְּמִסְתָּרִֽים
12 Its likeness is like a lion that salivates to tear,
and like a cub sitting in hidden places.
ib dmiono carih icsof l'trof
vccpir iowb bmstrim
10
9
dm\inv c/ari\h i/csp l/'trp
vc/cpr iwb bm/str\im
קוּמָ֤ה יְהוָ֗ה קַדְּמָ֣ה פָ֭נָיו הַכְרִיעֵ֑הוּ
פַּלְּטָ֥ה נַ֝פְשִׁ֗י מֵרָשָׁ֥ע חַרְבֶּֽךָ
13 Arise Yahweh, confront to its face. Make it bow down.
Secure me from the wicked, your sword,
ig qumh ihvh qdmh pniv hcriyhu
pl'th npwi mrwy krbç
12
10
qvm\h ihvh qdm\h pn\iv h/cry\hv
pl't\h npw\i m/rwy krb\c
מִֽמְתִ֥ים יָדְךָ֨ ׀ יְהוָ֡ה מִֽמְתִ֬ים מֵחֶ֗לֶד חֶלְקָ֥ם בַּֽחַיִּים֮ וּֽצְפוּנְךָ֮ תְּמַלֵּ֪א בִ֫טְנָ֥ם
יִשְׂבְּע֥וּ בָנִ֑ים
וְהִנִּ֥יחוּ יִ֝תְרָ֗ם לְעוֹלְלֵיהֶֽם
14 from men, your hand, Yahweh, from men, from transience, their share in their lives, whose bellies you fill with your treasure.
Let them be satisfied with children,
and leave their surplus to their progeny.
id mmtim idç ihvh mmtim mkld klqm bkiim uxpunç tmla b'tnm
iwbyu bnim
vhniku itrm lyollihm
24
5
10
m/mt\im id\c ihvh m/mt\im m/kld klq\m b/ki\im v/xpvn\c t/mla b'tn\m
i/wby\v bn\im
vh/n\ikv itr\m l/yvll\ihm
אֲנִ֗י בְּ֭צֶדֶק אֶחֱזֶ֣ה פָנֶ֑יךָ
אֶשְׂבְּעָ֥ה בְ֝הָקִ֗יץ תְּמוּנָתֶֽךָ
15 I in righteousness will gaze on your face.
I will be satisfied to awaken in your similitude.
'tv ani bxdq akzh pniç
awbyh bhqix tmuntç
11
11
ani b/xdq a/kzh pn\ic
a/wby\h bh/qx tmvn\tc


No comments:

Post a Comment