Sunday 30 April 2023

Dreamscape—Music and musing

 Diana and I were talking about what people want to do to make their lives have meaning. 


The bartender had said to me that he wanted to live out his old age with his wife. Wives and children of the staff on this vessel are all living separately from them. All of us, of course, are trapped within our necessity to find a living and support our families.


So I dreamt about making music politically. The dream started with a phone call in which the person I called was singing a psalm. And I was responding with the same music, an appeal for good sense and kindness.


Then I dreamt about the political impact of Psalm two. I have the music for Psalm 2. I would like to hear it and see it and have its questions debated politically. Why do the nations so furiously rage together?


I need performers and filmmakers who can take this concept and run with it. Is anyone interested? An immediate performance comes to mind: Lenny Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms. It isn’t the music that I have, though I love that work. My music is directly derived from the Biblical text. I have the PDFs. I have the XML files. I can turn them into film, but I cannot perform them or debate them or make them politically effective.


Of course, I don’t expect to convince any power hungry oligarch with Hebrew music. But maybe I should.




No comments:

Post a Comment