Wednesday 31 August 2022

Blog anniversary

I haven’t noted much in the way of anniversaries for my blog(s), but on this day 16 years ago I made my first post on blogger.

What have I got to show for all this effort?
The end product
of 16 years effort.

I posted on Bob’s blog for six years. There were volume issues backing up blogs in those earlier days so I thought I might have to have more than one site. This was unnecessarily prudent (or foolish) on my part. I have never had cause to restore a backup. My initial site was largely dedicated to my first two passes through the psalter and to the Song.

I note that a whole bunch of links are broken on this site. A server that I had access to then contained many diagrams and the server is no longer available. I still have all the diagrams but nowhere to serve them from. If you want them, they are in a zip file here - unzip them to a hard drive keeping the directory structure and then open any one of the htm files in a browser and the diagrams will all work.

The file 173.htm is the main psalter driver. There are a bunch of other files in there too - pdfs on various books and so on. It is bits and pieces of my earliest work on translation. My attempts at learning go back further - Romans first in 1994, essays on the Liturgy, on a hand-developed web site that I still have somewhere.

On a second blog, Sufficiency, I did some analysis of Job, and wrote a second set of posts on Romans. The last post on Sufficiency was August 2010. These two blogs and their 1,200 or so posts have racked up over 200,000 hits over the years, i.e. nothing much to speak of.

This current blog Dust, now 13 years old, has over 3,000 posts and nearly 1.5 million visits. It backs up in less than a minute. No volume issues at all. Over these past 12 years I have exposed my work to the public on translation and the music of the Hebrew Bible. The most important bits are on the music. Introduction after years of research is here. Please take the time to listen and be astonished that such music was coded into the text from an era before the invention of the vowel pointing.

1.5 Million visits does not translate into 1.5 Million sales. Maybe a few hundred or so. Make a difference!

There are a few other blogs I have had over the years, one for a Sunday School that I assisted with for a while, and more currently, the full concordance of my translation of the Books of the Hebrew Bible, translated with the embedded music in mind.

Analysis is a never ending task. The translation is available if you want to buy a copy. I recommend the SimHebrew Bible. I never leave home without it. (It's on my phone of course.) And it is by far the easiest way to see the Hebrew behind the English. I use it frequently. But the individual books (all listed here) are good in English too. The book on the music is brief - only a hundred or so pages as opposed to 1000s.

I have a blog or two on Wordpress that I don't use because I haven't figured out the latest gadgets. Blogger has served me just fine so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment