Friday 13 November 2020

Pandemic project almost finished

I am 1 or 2 books (Ezra/Nehemiah) away from a complete Sim Hebrew Bible. This will be a two column English and Hebrew text in which both columns are left to right in Latin characters. The Hebrew is essentially equivalent to the unpointed Hebrew that is used in modern books and newspapers but it contains some o, u and i vowels that make it a little easier to read. I am still pondering the absence of vowels needed to sing it. But you can't have everything in a reduction of sorts. The copy I have is a test copy only, produced for proofing purposes, and not to be published.

The by-product I do hope will prove useful to the public. It will be a full electronic version of a mapping of all instances of every word in the Hebrew Scriptures organized by consonantal stem and illustrating the relationships between unpointed ltr and pointed rtl texts. That is another unique output of my work as far as I know. My first unique output is the entire Hebrew Bible in its musical form. This still has to catch on! But the Jonah story is an absolute hoot in the music. Connecting the excellent teaching on the sign of Jonah in the verbal world with the music would be nice. Too bad so many students of the Bible aren't musicians.



No comments:

Post a Comment