Thursday 26 January 2023

The Music of the Bible in 21 pdfs

I started my Hebrew Bible translation 17 years ago after attending a conference on the epistle to the Hebrews at St Andrews. In 2010 I discovered the music of the te'amim through a conference on the Psalms at Oxford. And I just kept going. I was built (theologically) for this reason: to combine database programming, music, and the words of the Hebrew Bible. There are lots of other things I was built for too but those are like everyone else's.

I have transcribed many hundreds of sections to an English underlay (lyrics) and have arranged several others. Where I have done the transcription, I have always found ways to get around the problems of writing music written for Hebrew with lyrics in English. And I have often found that the music questions my translation. I am convinced that the music is an essential component for translation, interpretation, and understanding. I should prove this. I wasn't sure I had time to finish a translation when I began. I am equally unsure I have time to set the entire underlay in English - but I know this will result in questioning my translation - so it is one method for ensuring that I don't leave anything out.

So this month I have collected the 929 chapter files, 4000 pages of music, into 21 pdfs - 5 for Torah, 8 for the prophets and 8 for the writings. 

Torah (torh) is in 5 books in 5 pdfs: Genesis (brawit), Exodus (wmot), Leviticus (viqra), Numbers (bmdbr), and Deuteronomy (dbrim).

The Prophets nbiaim rawonim in 4 books in 4 pdfs: Joshua (ihowy), Judges (wop'tim), Samuel (wmual a & b), and Kings (mlcim a & b), nbiaim akronim in 4 books in 4 pdfs: Isaiah (iwyihu), Jeremiah (irmihu), Ezekiel (ikzqal), and The Twelve (tri ywr: howy, ioal, ymos, yobdih, ionh, mich, nkum, kbquq, xpnih, kgi, zcrih, mlaci).

The Writings (ctubim) 11 books in 8 pdfs: Psalms (thlim), Proverbs (miwli), Job (aiob). The Five Scrolls (wir hwirim, rut, aich, qhlt, astr), Daniel (dnial), Ezra-Nehemiah (yzra-nkmih) and Chronicles (dibri himim a & b) (3).

All names transcribed above are in SimHebrew. These are the same links as in the previous posts but here altogether in one place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment