Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Apophatic learning

There are more psalms than 1 and 15 that emphasize what not to do.  I have stopped writing at psalm 90 for the moment, and I am reviewing and reading all the psalms ahead of me and behind me. As usual I am examining every word and turn of phrase, near frames and distant ones. There are spots of colour in the psalms that must survive translation, unique words, words used only in one or two psalms. I continue to change the posts that contain my translations. Maybe I will never finish - but I will leave behind the trace of a journey through these poems.

Psalm 101 is a miniature in No. It matches in word usage Psalm 15, A sevenfold no and Psalm 26 walk in completeness.  Take time to read them bifocally - a good exercise. Do the earlier apophatic psalms prepare for psalm 101 - announcing the one who will demonstrate completeness?

Psalms 101 and 15: Total words 138, Percent shared of total: 15.2
Percent of Psalm 15: 38.2

Words in psalm 101 (83) in the order of word usage in psalm 15 (55)
Word and gloss * first usage123456789101234VsStem
לדוד of David
░
1דוד
מזמור a psalm
░
1זמר
אזמרה I will sing a psalm
░
1זמר
תמים completeness
░
2תמם
אתהלך I will walk
░
2הלך
בתם in the completeness of
░
2תמם
לבבי my heart
░
2לבב
בקרב within
░
2קרב
לא not
░
3לא
עיני my eyes
░
3עין
דבר a thing of
░
3דבר
עשׂה to do
░
3עשׂה
לא not
░
3לא
לבב a heart
░
4לבב
רע evil
░
4רע
לא not
░
4לא
מלשׁני for slandering
░
5לשׁון
רעהו his friend
░
5רעה
עינים eyes
░
5עין
לבב heart
░
5לבב
לא not
░
5לא
עיני my eyes
░
6עין
הלך walking
░
6הלך
תמים completeness
░
6תמם
לא not
░
7לא
בקרב within
░
7קרב
עשׂה the one who does
░
7עשׂה
דבר the telling of
░
7דבר
לא not
░
7לא
עיני my eyes
░
7עין
פעלי workers of
░
8פעל

Psalms 101 and 26: Total words 168, Percent shared of total: 12.5Percent of Psalm 26: 24.7
Words in psalm 101 (83) in the order of word usage in psalm 26 (85)
Word and gloss * first usage1234567891012345VsStem
לדוד of David
░
1דוד
חסד mercy
░
1חסד
ומשׁפט and judgment
░
1שׁפט
תמים completeness
░
2תמם
תבוא will you come
░
2בוא
אתהלך I will walk
░
2הלך
בתם in the completeness of
░
2תמם
ביתי my house
░
2בית
לא not
░
3לא
לנגד before
░
3נגד
עיני my eyes
░
3עין
שׂנאתי I hate
░
3שׂנא
לא not
░
3לא
לא not
░
4לא
עינים eyes
░
5עין
לא not
░
5לא
עיני my eyes
░
6עין
לשׁבת to sit
░
6ישׁב
עמדי with me
░
6עמד
הלך walking
░
6הלך
תמים completeness
░
6תמם
לא not
░
7לא
ישׁב will sit
░
7ישׁב
ביתי my house
░
7בית
לא not
░
7לא
לנגד before
░
7נגד
עיני my eyes
░
7עין
כל all
░
8כל
רשׁעי the wicked of
░
8רשׁע
כל all
░
8כל




No comments:

Post a Comment