Pages

▼

Thursday, 13 August 2020

Old Posts - remembering earlier days

 Do you remember this?

Word / Gloss
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
Vs
Stem
אשׁר which
░
אשׁר
ודרכיך nor your ways
░
דרך
פן lest
░
פן
רע evil
░
רעע
וחק and decree
░
חק
לה for herself
░
ל
בשׁבתו where he sits
░
ישׁב
ויאשׁרוה and they make her happy
░
אשׁר
יהוה Yahweh
░
יהוה
לה to her
░
ל
יהוה Yahweh
░
יהוה
יושׁב the one sitting
░
ישׁב
למו them
░
ל
חק the decree of
░
חק
יהוה Yahweh
░
יהוה
תרעם you will injure them
░
רעע
יהוה Yahweh
░
יהוה
פן lest
░
פן
דרך the way
░
דרך
אשׁרי happy are
░
אשׁר

I have been wondering how to express my pattern recognitions and my translation controls using my recent conversion of the software to SimHebrew.

The above is pretty clear even if you don't read Hebrew. It seems to suggest that the writer of Proverbs 31 was familiar with the words of Psalm 2 and laid out the poem with these keywords in mind. But it is open to accident. The stems are common and some of the sounds match without the sense matching.

But this is typical of what I was looking for when I began my study of recurring word patterns in the Psalms almost 15 years ago. It was the 2006 conference on Hebrews and theology that drew my attention to the Psalms. I had already been looking at keywords by drawing diagrams and manually mapping the patterns of word usage in the epistle to the Hebrews. I was using an early version of the IDE I use today but one that was more oriented to diagramming than to active form controls and database programming.

My earliest blog posts are from 2006. I have been on blogger for 14 years almost to the day. The earliest posts on Bob's Log use the old diagramming surface. Though I have the pieces, these diagrams no longer display via normal clicks. You have to have them on a local drive or at a fixed address - and these days I don't pay for an address. The html file references all the pieces but the links must be adjacent and in a subdirectory. When I look at them now, they are a mass of detail to me, and not very revealing. I was lost in the forest and I painted all the trees. 

Here's the above having modified the final column to SimHebrew. It's a bit of smoke and mirrors. Patterns seem to be important, but are they content or technique? (It works though.)

Word / Gloss1234567VsStem
אשׁר which
░
PRO 31:1awr
ודרכיך nor your ways
░
PRO 31:3drc
פן lest
░
PRO 31:5pn
בה in her
░
PRO 31:11b
רע evil
░
PRO 31:12ryy
וחק and decree
░
PRO 31:15kq
לה for herself
░
PRO 31:22l
ויאשׁרוה and they make her happy
░
PRO 31:28awr
לה to her
░
PRO 31:31l
למו them
░
PSA 2:4l
חק the decree
░
PSA 2:7kq
תרעם you will injure them
░
PSA 2:9ryy
פן lest
░
PSA 2:12pn
דרך the way
░
PSA 2:12drc
אשׁרי happy are
░
PSA 2:12awr
בו in him
░
PSA 2:12b

Here's my first version of Psalm 1. I linked the whole Psalter this way with many graphs and tables. Word by word. Line by line. Perpetually puzzling.

No comments:

Post a Comment