Pages

▼

Wednesday, 8 January 2020

Psalms 90 and 91

I am recalling things I could do a year ago that I now have to struggle to remember how to do in my database. Strange when you move from words patterns to composing music. Many of my routines are embedded in visual forms, but many were experimental and require me to remember how I was doing the experiment.

Here's an example: comparing word repetition in two Psalms. Some discussion has opened up on Psalms 90 and I remembered it was closely related to Psalms 91, one of several pairings of Psalms. I call this one prayer and response. They share more than 26.6% of their words. This is not among the highest percentages. 35 consecutive pairs of Psalms share more than 40% of their words. The highest shared count is 135, 136 at 54.4%.

Shared Words in Psalms 90,91, excluding: על,יהוה,אלוה,כּי,אל,אתּ
Word / Gloss12345678910123456VsStem
מעון a habitation
░
90:1מעון
אתה yourself
░
90:1אתה
אתה you are
░
90:2אתה
ותאמר and you say
░
90:3אמר
אלף a thousand
░
90:4אלף
בעיניך in your eyes
░
90:4עין
כיום are like a day
░
90:4יום
ואשׁמורה and a watch
░
90:4שׁמר
בלילה in the night
░
90:4ליל
כל all
░
90:9כל
ימינו our days
░
90:9יום
ימי the days of
░
90:10יום
ונעפה and we fly away
░
90:10עוף
יודע knows
░
90:11ידע
וכיראתך and according to your fear
░
90:11ירא
ימינו our days
░
90:12יום
הודע make us know
░
90:12ידע
שׂבענו satisfy us
░
90:14שׂבע
בכל in all
░
90:14כל
ימינו our days
░
90:14יום
כימות for days
░
90:15יום
עניתנו you afflicted us
░
90:15ענה
ראינו we have seen
░
90:15ראה
רעה evil
░
90:15רעע
יראה let appear
░
90:16ראה
אמר I will say
░
91:2אמר
תירא you will fear
░
91:5ירא
לילה by night
░
91:5ליל
יעוף that flies
░
91:5עוף
יומם by day
░
91:5יום
אלף a thousand
░
91:7אלף
בעיניך with your eyes
░
91:8עין
תראה you will see
░
91:8ראה
אתה you
░
91:9אתה
מעונך as your habitation
░
91:9מעון
רעה evil
░
91:10רעע
לשׁמרך to keep you
░
91:11שׁמר
בכל in all
░
91:11כל
ידע he has known
░
91:14ידע
ואענהו and I will answer him
░
91:15ענה
ימים days
░
91:16יום
אשׂביעהו I will satisfy him
░
91:16שׂבע
ואראהו and I will show him
░
91:16ראה

Analyzing music is much harder and requires time. A few things to note about the sequences of the accents: 90:1, 2, 10, and 17 are unique musical phrases. They each occur exactly once in the whole Bible. (Now who is going to tell you this tidbit without a database?). 91:3, 4, 7, 14, 15 are unique. Verses 3 and 14 stand out since they begin on a high C. Could be emphatic use of the accent. In both psalms, some pairs and trios of verses are connected through the use of an initial g (tifha).

The sheet music is available in the usual places. Performances of the raw data are available here Psalm 90 Psalm 91

No comments:

Post a Comment