Pages

▼

Wednesday, 23 January 2013

A book for discovering things

I have revisted a presentation I did 18 months ago to introduce my book project to Uvic. At the time, I had a first draft of the approach I was going to take. The revised presentation is available as pdf here if you are interested.

While I was doing this, I discovered something. I already point out that all of the Acrostics follow a Psalm of significance and act as celebratory markers.

–Psalm 8 (9-10); Psalm 24 (25); Psalm 33 (34); Psalm 36 (37)
–Psalm 110 (111-112); Psalm 118 (119); Psalm 144 (145)

But look at that surprising relationship: And tell me - what is the relationship I am pointing out - why are Psalms 8 and 144 related and why are Psalms 36 and 110 related? The relationship is unique to the pair in both cases. And this pairing is a chiasm X. (See the presentation for a hint on the Acrostics slide.)

I wonder if one combines this high-wire relationship with the repeated psalms (14-53, 40-70, 57+60 = 108) whether one could not imagine these somehow holding like tent poles the whole structure of the Psalter.

Also I wonder: does this imply a relationship between 118 and 24+33?  What might that be?  24 and 118 have a clear link through open / door - gate.

33 and 118 share 34 roots accounting for 172 of 359 words (close to 1/2).

Here is a very constrained set - hard to reduce them and still see the results. (I even omitted חסד!)
Selected words occurring in each of psalms -33,118

Word and gloss * first usage12345678910123456789VsStem
רננו shout for joy
░
-33.1רנן
צדיקים righteous ones
░
-33.1צדיק
הודו give thanks
░
-33.2ידה
דבר the word of
░
-33.4דבר
מעשׂהו he makes
░
-33.4עשׂה
צדקה righteousness
░
-33.5צדק
בדבר in the word of
░
-33.6דבר
נעשׂו are made
░
-33.6עשׂה
נתן giving
░
-33.7נתן
ייראו will fear
░
-33.8ירא
גוים the nations
░
-33.10גוי
הגוי the nation
░
-33.12גוי
האדם human
░
-33.13אדם
מעשׂיהם their deeds
░
-33.15עשׂה
נושׁע victorious
░
-33.16ישׁע
חיל force
░
-33.16חיל
לתשׁועה in victory
░
-33.17ישׁע
חיל force
░
-33.17חיל
עין the eye of
░
-33.18עין
יראיו those who fear him
░
-33.18ירא
ממות from death
░
-33.19מות
ולחיותם and to keep them alive
░
-33.19חיה
עזרנו our help
░
-33.20עזר
ישׂמח will be glad
░
-33.21שׂמח
בשׁם in name
░
-33.21שׁם
בטחנו we have trusted
░
-33.21בטח
הודו give thanks
░
118.1ידה
יראי those who fear
░
118.4ירא
אירא I will fear
░
118.6ירא
יעשׂה will do
░
118.6עשׂה
אדם an earthling
░
118.6אדם
בעזרי with those helping me
░
118.7עזר
מבטח over trusting
░
118.8בטח
באדם in an earthling
░
118.8אדם
מבטח over trusting
░
118.9בטח
גוים nations
░
118.10גוי
בשׁם in the name of
░
118.10שׁם
בשׁם in the name of
░
118.11שׁם
כדבורים like a swarm of bees
░
118.12דבר
בשׁם in the name of
░
118.12שׁם
עזרני has helped me
░
118.13עזר
לישׁועה salvation
░
118.14ישׁע
רנה a shout of joy
░
118.15רנן
וישׁועה and salvation
░
118.15ישׁע
צדיקים righteous ones
░
118.15צדיק
עשׂה making
░
118.15עשׂה
חיל weal
░
118.15חיל
עשׂה making
░
118.16עשׂה
חיל weal
░
118.16חיל
אמות I will die
░
118.17מות
אחיה I will live
░
118.17חיה
מעשׂי the deeds of
░
118.17עשׂה
ולמות but over to death
░
118.18מות
נתנני did he give me
░
118.18נתן
צדק righteousness
░
118.19צדק
אודה I will give thanks to
░
118.19ידה
צדיקים righteous ones
░
118.20צדיק
אודך I will thank you
░
118.21ידה
לישׁועה salvation
░
118.21ישׁע
בעינינו in our eyes
░
118.23עין
עשׂה made
░
118.24עשׂה
ונשׂמחה and be glad
░
118.24שׂמח
הושׁיעה you save
░
118.25ישׁע
בשׁם in the name of
░
118.26שׁם
ואודך I will thank you
░
118.28ידה
הודו give thanks
░
118.29ידה

24 and 118 share 17 roots accounting for 94 of 287 words (close to 1/3).
Here are the significant ones - slightly less constrained.
Selected words occurring in each of psalms -24,118

Word and gloss * first usage12345678910VsStem
ברכה a blessing
░
-24.5ברך
וצדקה and righteousness
░
-24.5צדק
ישׁעו his salvation
░
-24.5ישׁע
פניך your face
░
-24.6פנה
שׁערים gates
░
-24.7שׁער
* ראשׁיכם your heads
░
-24.7ראשׁ
* פתחי doors
░
-24.7פתח
עולם everlasting
░
-24.7עלם
* ויבוא and will come in
░
-24.7בוא
עזוז strong
░
-24.8עזז
שׁערים gates
░
-24.9שׁער
* ראשׁיכם your heads
░
-24.9ראשׁ
* פתחי doors
░
-24.9פתח
עולם everlasting
░
-24.9עלם
* ויבא and will come in
░
-24.9בוא
לעולם is forever
░
118.1עלם
לעולם is forever
░
118.2עלם
לעולם is forever
░
118.3עלם
לעולם is forever
░
118.4עלם
עזי my strength
░
118.14עזז
לישׁועה salvation
░
118.14ישׁע
וישׁועה and salvation
░
118.15ישׁע
פתחו open
░
118.19פתח
שׁערי the gates of
░
118.19שׁער
צדק righteousness
░
118.19צדק
אבא I will go
░
118.19בוא
השׁער the gate of
░
118.20שׁער
יבאו will go
░
118.20בוא
לישׁועה salvation
░
118.21ישׁע
לראשׁ the head of
░
118.22ראשׁ
פנה the corner
░
118.22פנה
הושׁיעה you save
░
118.25ישׁע
ברוך blessed is
░
118.26ברך
הבא the one coming
░
118.26בוא
ברכנוכם we have blessed you
░
118.26ברך
לעולם is forever
░
118.29עלם

24 and 33 share 24 roots 90 / 250 - slightly over a third.


No comments:

Post a Comment