Friday 2 March 2018

1 Samuel 24

Some have wondered at the expression covering the feet. There is little doubt that it has to do with relieving oneself. The expression uses a word that I have rendered as overshadow, cover being reserved for another stem.

We have a bit of insight here into the nature of pasturing in the hills of Israel. I never got as far south as Ein Gedi on our trip. We stayed at Almog on the north of the salt sea. Almog אלמג is the root for the algum tree.
1 Samuel 24 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיַּ֥עַל דָּוִ֖ד מִשָּׁ֑ם
וַיֵּ֖שֶׁב בִּמְצָד֥וֹת עֵֽין־גֶּֽדִי
1 And David went up from there,
and settled in the fortresses of Ein Gedi.
3e 4A 7
9
וַיְהִ֗י כַּֽאֲשֶׁר֙ שָׁ֣ב שָׁא֔וּל מֵאַחֲרֵ֖י פְּלִשְׁתִּ֑ים
וַיַּגִּ֤דוּ לוֹ֙ לֵאמֹ֔ר הִנֵּ֣ה דָוִ֔ד בְּמִדְבַּ֖ר עֵ֥ין גֶּֽדִי
2 And it happened that as Saul returned from following the Philistines,
that they told him, saying, Behold, David is in the wilderness of Ein Gedi.
3e 4C 15
17
וַיִּקַּ֣ח שָׁא֗וּל שְׁלֹ֧שֶׁת אֲלָפִ֛ים אִ֥ישׁ בָּח֖וּר מִכָּל־יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
וַיֵּ֗לֶךְ לְבַקֵּ֤שׁ אֶת־דָּוִד֙ וַֽאֲנָשָׁ֔יו עַל־פְּנֵ֖י צוּרֵ֥י הַיְּעֵלִֽים
3 And Saul took three thousand chosen men from all Israel,
and went to seek David and his men in the face of the rocks of the mountain goats.
3c 4C 19
21
וַ֠יָּבֹא אֶל־גִּדְר֨וֹת הַצֹּ֤אן עַל־הַדֶּ֙רֶךְ֙ וְשָׁ֣ם מְעָרָ֔ה וַיָּבֹ֥א שָׁא֖וּל לְהָסֵ֣ךְ אֶת־רַגְלָ֑יו
וְדָוִד֙ וַאֲנָשָׁ֔יו בְּיַרְכְּתֵ֥י הַמְּעָרָ֖ה יֹשְׁבִֽים
4 ~ And he came to the guard-fences of the flock by the way, and there was a cave, and Saul entered to overshadow his feet,
but David and his men were sitting in the flanks of the cave.
3e 4C 28
16
וַיֹּאמְרוּ֩ אַנְשֵׁ֨י דָוִ֜ד אֵלָ֗יו הִנֵּ֨ה הַיּ֜וֹם אֲ‍ֽשֶׁר־אָמַ֧ר יְהוָ֣ה אֵלֶ֗יךָ הִנֵּ֨ה אָנֹכִ֜י נֹתֵ֤ן אֶת־אֹֽיִבְךָ֙ בְּיָדֶ֔ךָ וְעָשִׂ֣יתָ לּ֔וֹ כַּאֲשֶׁ֖ר יִטַ֣ב בְּעֵינֶ֑יךָ
וַיָּ֣קָם דָּוִ֗ד וַיִּכְרֹ֛ת אֶת־כְּנַֽף־הַמְּעִ֥יל אֲשֶׁר־לְשָׁא֖וּל בַּלָּֽט
5 And the men of David said to him, Behold, the day, as Yahweh had said to you, Behold, I am giving your enemy into your hand, and you will do to him as is good in your eyes.
And David arose and he cut off the hem of the mantle that belonged to Saul, quietly.
3c 4C 50
20
וַֽיְהִי֙ אַֽחֲרֵי־כֵ֔ן וַיַּ֥ךְ לֵב־דָּוִ֖ד אֹת֑וֹ
עַ֚ל אֲשֶׁ֣ר כָּרַ֔ת אֶת־כָּנָ֖ף אֲשֶׁ֥ר לְשָׁאֽוּל
6 And it was after such that the heart of David struck him,
in that he cut the hem that belonged to Saul.
3e 4C 13
13
וַיֹּ֨אמֶר לַאֲנָשָׁ֜יו חָלִ֧ילָה לִּ֣י מֵֽיהוָ֗ה אִם־אֶעֱשֶׂה֩ אֶת־הַדָּבָ֨ר הַזֶּ֤ה לַֽאדֹנִי֙ לִמְשִׁ֣יחַ יְהוָ֔ה לִשְׁלֹ֥חַ יָדִ֖י בּ֑וֹ
כִּֽי־מְשִׁ֥יחַ יְהוָ֖ה הֽוּא
7 And he said to his men, Far be it from me, from Yahweh, if I would do this thing to my lord, to the anointed of Yahweh, to extend my hand against him,
for the anointed of Yahweh he is.
3c 4C 37
7
וַיְשַׁסַּ֨ע דָּוִ֤ד אֶת־אֲנָשָׁיו֙ בַּדְּבָרִ֔ים וְלֹ֥א נְתָנָ֖ם לָק֣וּם אֶל־שָׁא֑וּל
וְשָׁא֛וּל קָ֥ם מֵהַמְּעָרָ֖ה וַיֵּ֥לֶךְ בַּדָּֽרֶךְ
8 And David rived his men in words, and he did not permit them to arise to Saul,
and Saul arose from the cave and he went in the way.
3d 4C 22
14
וַיָּ֨קָם דָּוִ֜ד אַחֲרֵי־כֵ֗ן וַיֵּצֵא֙ מֵֽהַמְּעָרָ֔ה וַיִּקְרָ֧א אַֽחֲרֵי־שָׁא֛וּל לֵאמֹ֖ר אֲדֹנִ֣י הַמֶּ֑לֶךְ
וַיַּבֵּ֤ט שָׁאוּל֙ אַֽחֲרָ֔יו וַיִּקֹּ֨ד דָּוִ֥ד אַפַּ֛יִם אַ֖רְצָה וַיִּשְׁתָּֽחוּ
9 And David arose after this and went out from the cave and called after Saul, saying, My lord the king.
And Saul took note behind him and David bowed his head, nostrils earthward, and prostrated himself.
3c 4C 31
21
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר דָּוִד֙ לְשָׁא֔וּל לָ֧מָּה תִשְׁמַ֛ע אֶת־דִּבְרֵ֥י אָדָ֖ם לֵאמֹ֑ר
הִנֵּ֣ה דָוִ֔ד מְבַקֵּ֖שׁ רָעָתֶֽךָ
10 And David said to Saul, Why do you hear the words of a human, saying,
Behold, David seeks your hurt?
3c 4C 19
11
הִנֵּה֩ הַיּ֨וֹם הַזֶּ֜ה רָא֣וּ עֵינֶ֗יךָ אֵ֣ת אֲשֶׁר־נְתָנְךָ֩ יְהוָ֨ה ׀ הַיּ֤וֹם ׀ בְּיָדִי֙ בַּמְּעָרָ֔ה וְאָמַ֥ר לַהֲרָגֲךָ֖ וַתָּ֣חָס עָלֶ֑יךָ
וָאֹמַ֗ר לֹא־אֶשְׁלַ֤ח יָדִי֙ בַּֽאדֹנִ֔י כִּי־מְשִׁ֥יחַ יְהוָ֖ה הֽוּא
11 Behold this day your eyes saw that Yahweh had given you today into my hand in the cave, and he said to slay you, but it spared you.
Then I said, I will not extend my hand against my lord, for the anointed of Yahweh he is.
3e 4C 41
18
וְאָבִ֣י רְאֵ֔ה גַּ֗ם רְאֵ֛ה אֶת־כְּנַ֥ף מְעִילְךָ֖ בְּיָדִ֑י
כִּ֡י בְּכָרְתִי֩ אֶת־כְּנַ֨ף מְעִֽילְךָ֜ וְלֹ֣א הֲרַגְתִּ֗יךָ דַּ֤ע וּרְאֵה֙ כִּי֩ אֵ֨ין בְּיָדִ֜י רָעָ֤ה וָפֶ֙שַׁע֙ וְלֹא־חָטָ֣אתִי לָ֔ךְ וְאַתָּ֛ה צֹדֶ֥ה אֶת־נַפְשִׁ֖י לְקַחְתָּֽהּ
12 And my father, see, even see the hem of your mantle in my hand,
for I cut off the hem of your mantle, and did not slay you. Acknowledge and see, for there is neither evil in my hand nor transgression, and I have not sinned against you, but you have designs against my integrity to take it.
3d 4C 17
45
יִשְׁפֹּ֤ט יְהוָה֙ בֵּינִ֣י וּבֵינֶ֔ךָ וּנְקָמַ֥נִי יְהוָ֖ה מִמֶּ֑ךָּ
וְיָדִ֖י לֹ֥א תִֽהְיֶה־בָּֽךְ
13 Let Yahweh judge between me and you, and let Yahweh avenge me from you,
but my hand will not be against you.
3e 4C 19
7
כַּאֲשֶׁ֣ר יֹאמַ֗ר מְשַׁל֙ הַקַּדְמֹנִ֔י מֵרְשָׁעִ֖ים יֵ֣צֵא רֶ֑שַׁע
וְיָדִ֖י לֹ֥א תִֽהְיֶה־בָּֽךְ
14 As the proverb of antiquity says, From the wicked let wickedness emerge,
but my hand will not be against you.
3e 4B 18
7
אַחֲרֵ֨י מִ֤י יָצָא֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אַחֲרֵ֥י מִ֖י אַתָּ֣ה רֹדֵ֑ף
אַֽחֲרֵי֙ כֶּ֣לֶב מֵ֔ת אַחֲרֵ֖י פַּרְעֹ֥שׁ אֶחָֽד
15 After whom has the king of Israel come forth? After whom do you pursue?
After a dead dog? After one flea?
3e 4C 19
13
וְהָיָ֤ה יְהוָה֙ לְדַיָּ֔ן וְשָׁפַ֖ט בֵּינִ֣י וּבֵינֶ֑ךָ
וְיֵ֙רֶא֙ וְיָרֵ֣ב אֶת־רִיבִ֔י וְיִשְׁפְּטֵ֖נִי מִיָּדֶֽךָ
16 And it will be that Yahweh will make the case, and he will judge between me and you,
and see, and strive my strife, and judge me from your hand.
3e 4C 17
18
וַיְהִ֣י ׀ כְּכַלּ֣וֹת דָּוִ֗ד לְדַבֵּ֞ר אֶת־הַדְּבָרִ֤ים הָאֵ֙לֶּה֙ אֶל־שָׁא֔וּל וַיֹּ֣אמֶר שָׁא֔וּל הֲקֹלְךָ֥ זֶ֖ה בְּנִ֣י דָוִ֑ד
וַיִּשָּׂ֥א שָׁא֛וּל קֹל֖וֹ וַיֵּֽבְךְּ
17 And it happened that David finished speaking these words to Saul, and Saul said, Is this your voice, my son, David?
And Saul lifted up his voice and wept.
3d 4C 33
10
וַיֹּ֙אמֶר֙ אֶל־דָּוִ֔ד צַדִּ֥יק אַתָּ֖ה מִמֶּ֑נִּי
כִּ֤י אַתָּה֙ גְּמַלְתַּ֣נִי הַטּוֹבָ֔ה וַאֲנִ֖י גְּמַלְתִּ֥יךָ הָרָעָֽה
18 And he said to David, you are more righteous than I,
because you, you have rewarded me with the good, but I, I have rewarded you with the evil.
3e 4C 13
20
וְאַתָּה֙ הִגַּ֣דְתָּ הַיּ֔וֹם אֵ֛ת אֲשֶׁר־עָשִׂ֥יתָה אִתִּ֖י טוֹבָ֑ה
אֵת֩ אֲשֶׁ֨ר סִגְּרַ֧נִי יְהוָ֛ה בְּיָדְךָ֖ וְלֹ֥א הֲרַגְתָּֽנִי
19 And you, you have made it clear today that you have dealt with me well,
in that Yahweh imprisoned me in your hand, but you did not slay me.
3c 4B 18
17
וְכִֽי־יִמְצָ֥א אִישׁ֙ אֶת־אֹ֣יְב֔וֹ וְשִׁלְּח֖וֹ בְּדֶ֣רֶךְ טוֹבָ֑ה
וַֽיהוָה֙ יְשַׁלֶּמְךָ֣ טוֹבָ֔ה תַּ֚חַת הַיּ֣וֹם הַזֶּ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר עָשִׂ֖יתָה לִֽי
20 For when a man finds his enemy, will he send him in a way that is good?
So Yahweh repay you well under this day that you dealt to me.
3e 4C 16
20
וְעַתָּה֙ הִנֵּ֣ה יָדַ֔עְתִּי כִּ֥י מָלֹ֖ךְ תִּמְל֑וֹךְ
וְקָ֙מָה֙ בְּיָ֣דְךָ֔ מַמְלֶ֖כֶת יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
21 And now, behold, I know that as king, you will reign,
and in your hand the kingdom of Israel will be placed.
3e 4B 13
12
וְעַתָּ֗ה הִשָּׁ֤בְעָה לִּי֙ בַּֽיהוָ֔ה אִם־תַּכְרִ֥ית אֶת־זַרְעִ֖י אַֽחֲרָ֑י
וְאִם־תַּשְׁמִ֥יד אֶת־שְׁמִ֖י מִבֵּ֥ית אָבִֽי
22 So now swear to me in Yahweh, that you will not cut off my seed after me,
and you will not exterminate my name from the house of my father.
3e 4C 18
11
וַיִּשָּׁבַ֥ע דָּוִ֖ד לְשָׁא֑וּל
וַיֵּ֤לֶךְ שָׁאוּל֙ אֶל־בֵּית֔וֹ וְדָוִד֙ וַֽאֲנָשָׁ֔יו עָל֖וּ עַל־הַמְּצוּדָֽה
23 And David swore to Saul, and Saul went to his house,
but David and his men went up into the fortress.
3e 4C 9
21


No comments:

Post a Comment