Tuesday 28 November 2017

Ezekiel 5

It is somewhat difficult to say much about this terrible prophecy. From a language point of view, it is pretty straightforward. Lots of heat and destruction. I do note that for the preterite, I could probably drop the 'and' connector. It is, however, a syllable in the music.

Ezekiel 5 Fn Min Max Syll
וְאַתָּ֨ה בֶן־אָדָ֜ם קַח־לְךָ֣ ׀ חֶ֣רֶב חַדָּ֗ה תַּ֤עַר הַגַּלָּבִים֙ תִּקָּחֶ֣נָּה לָּ֔ךְ וְהַעֲבַרְתָּ֥ עַל־רֹאשְׁךָ֖ וְעַל־זְקָנֶ֑ךָ
וְלָקַחְתָּ֥ לְךָ֛ מֹאזְנֵ֥י מִשְׁקָ֖ל וְחִלַּקְתָּֽם
1 And you child of humanity, take for yourself a keen sword, a barber's razor take for yourself, and have it traverse over your head and over your beard,
and take for yourself a balance for weighing, and divide them.
3d 4C 38
14
שְׁלִשִׁ֗ית בָּא֤וּר תַּבְעִיר֙ בְּת֣וֹךְ הָעִ֔יר כִּמְלֹ֖את יְמֵ֣י הַמָּצ֑וֹר
וְלָֽקַחְתָּ֣ אֶת־הַשְּׁלִשִׁ֗ית תַּכֶּ֤ה בַחֶ֙רֶב֙ סְבִ֣יבוֹתֶ֔יהָ וְהַשְּׁלִשִׁית֙ תִּזְרֶ֣ה לָר֔וּחַ וְחֶ֖רֶב אָרִ֥יק אַחֲרֵיהֶֽם
2 A third in the light you will kindle in the midst of the city when the days of the siege are fulfilled,
and you will take the third to strike with the sword on every side of her. And the third you will sift for the wind, and I will do away with a sword in their aftermath.
3e 4C 18
36
וְלָקַחְתָּ֥ מִשָּׁ֖ם מְעַ֣ט בְּמִסְפָּ֑ר
וְצַרְתָּ֥ אוֹתָ֖ם בִּכְנָפֶֽיךָ
3 And you will take from there a few in number,
and fortify them in your hems.
3e 4B 11
9
וּמֵהֶם֙ ע֣וֹד תִּקָּ֔ח וְהִשְׁלַכְתָּ֤ אוֹתָם֙ אֶל־תּ֣וֹךְ הָאֵ֔שׁ וְשָׂרַפְתָּ֥ אֹתָ֖ם בָּאֵ֑שׁ
מִמֶּ֥נּוּ תֵצֵא־אֵ֖שׁ אֶל־כָּל־בֵּ֥ית יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
4 And from them take yet more and cast them into the centre of the fire and incinerate them in the fire.
From it fire will go forth to all the house of Israel.
3e 4C 24
12
כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהֹוִ֔ה זֹ֚את יְר֣וּשָׁלִַ֔ם בְּת֥וֹךְ הַגּוֹיִ֖ם שַׂמְתִּ֑יהָ
וּסְבִיבוֹתֶ֖יהָ אֲרָצֽוֹת
5 C Thus says my Lord Yahweh, This Jerusalem, into the midst of the nations, I have set her,
and the surrounding lands.
3e 4C 22
8
וַתֶּ֨מֶר אֶת־מִשְׁפָּטַ֤י לְרִשְׁעָה֙ מִן־הַגּוֹיִ֔ם וְאֶ֨ת־חֻקּוֹתַ֔י מִן־הָאֲרָצ֖וֹת אֲשֶׁ֣ר סְבִיבוֹתֶ֑יהָ
כִּ֤י בְמִשְׁפָּטַי֙ מָאָ֔סוּ וְחֻקּוֹתַ֖י לֹא־הָלְכ֥וּ בָהֶֽם
6 And she has provoked my judgments by her wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the lands that are on every side of her,
for my judgments, they refused, and my statutes, they did not walk in them.
3e 4C 31
17
לָכֵ֞ן כֹּֽה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה יַ֤עַן הֲמָנְכֶם֙ מִן־הַגּוֹיִם֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר סְבִיבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֔ם בְּחֻקּוֹתַי֙ לֹ֣א הֲלַכְתֶּ֔ם וְאֶת־מִשְׁפָּטַ֖י לֹ֣א עֲשִׂיתֶ֑ם
וּֽכְמִשְׁפְּטֵ֧י הַגּוֹיִ֛ם אֲשֶׁ֥ר סְבִיבוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם לֹ֥א עֲשִׂיתֶֽם
7 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Because the snarling is more than the nations that surround you, in my statutes you did not walk and my judgments you did not do,
and like the judgments of the nations that surround you, you did not do,
3c 4C 43
18
לָכֵ֗ן כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה הִנְנִ֥י עָלַ֖יִךְ גַּם־אָ֑נִי
וְעָשִׂ֧יתִי בְתוֹכֵ֛ךְ מִשְׁפָּטִ֖ים לְעֵינֵ֥י הַגּוֹיִֽם
8 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold me. Even I am against you.
And I will do in your midst judgments in the sight of the nations.
3c 4C 18
16
וְעָשִׂ֣יתִי בָ֗ךְ אֵ֚ת אֲשֶׁ֣ר לֹֽא־עָשִׂ֔יתִי וְאֵ֛ת אֲשֶֽׁר־לֹֽא־אֶעֱשֶׂ֥ה כָמֹ֖הוּ ע֑וֹד
יַ֖עַן כָּל־תּוֹעֲבֹתָֽיִךְ
9 And I will do among you what I have not done and I will not do its like any more,
because of all your abominations.
3d 4C 22
8
לָכֵ֗ן אָב֞וֹת יֹאכְל֤וּ בָנִים֙ בְּתוֹכֵ֔ךְ וּבָנִ֖ים יֹאכְל֣וּ אֲבוֹתָ֑ם
וְעָשִׂ֤יתִי בָךְ֙ שְׁפָטִ֔ים וְזֵרִיתִ֥י אֶת־כָּל־שְׁאֵרִיתֵ֖ךְ לְכָל־רֽוּחַ
10 Therefore parents will eat children in your midst and children will eat parents,
and I will do among you judgments, and I will sift all your physical power to every wind.
3e 4C 19
22
לָכֵ֣ן חַי־אָ֗נִי נְאֻם֮ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִה֒ אִם־לֹ֗א יַ֚עַן אֶת־מִקְדָּשִׁ֣י טִמֵּ֔את בְּכָל־שִׁקּוּצַ֖יִךְ וּבְכָל־תּוֹעֲבֹתָ֑יִךְ
וְגַם־אֲנִ֤י אֶגְרַע֙ וְלֹא־תָח֣וֹס עֵינִ֔י וְגַם־אֲנִ֖י לֹ֥א אֶחְמֽוֹל
11 Therefore I, Living, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh, Without fail, because my sanctuaries you have defiled by all your detestable things and by all your abominations,
so even I, I will remove advantage, nor will my eye spare, and even I, I will not show pity.
3e 4C 34
18
שְׁלִשִׁתֵ֞יךְ בַּדֶּ֣בֶר יָמ֗וּתוּ וּבָֽרָעָב֙ יִכְל֣וּ בְתוֹכֵ֔ךְ וְהַ֨שְּׁלִשִׁ֔ית בַּחֶ֖רֶב יִפְּל֣וּ סְבִיבוֹתָ֑יִךְ
וְהַשְּׁלִישִׁית֙ לְכָל־ר֣וּחַ אֱזָרֶ֔ה וְחֶ֖רֶב אָרִ֥יק אַחֲרֵיהֶֽם
12 A third of you by pestilence will die, and by famine they will be consumed in your midst, and a third by the sword will fall all around you,
and the third to every wind I will sift, and sword I will do away with in their aftermath.
3e 4B 33
20
וְכָלָ֣ה אַפִּ֗י וַהֲנִחוֹתִ֧י חֲמָתִ֛י בָּ֖ם וְהִנֶּחָ֑מְתִּי
וְֽיָדְע֞וּ כִּי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֗ה דִּבַּ֙רְתִּי֙ בְּקִנְאָתִ֔י בְּכַלּוֹתִ֥י חֲמָתִ֖י בָּֽם
13 And my anger will consume and I will make my heat repose in them, and I will sigh.
And they will know that I am Yahweh. I have spoken in my jealousy, by consuming my heat in them.
3c 4B 19
22
וְאֶתְּנֵךְ֙ לְחָרְבָּ֣ה וּלְחֶרְפָּ֔ה בַּגּוֹיִ֖ם אֲשֶׁ֣ר סְבִיבוֹתָ֑יִךְ
לְעֵינֵ֖י כָּל־עוֹבֵֽר
14 And I will consign you to the desert, and for a reproach in the nations which are all around you,
in the sight of all who pass by.
3e 4B 19
6
וְֽהָ֨יְתָ֜ה חֶרְפָּ֤ה וּגְדוּפָה֙ מוּסָ֣ר וּמְשַׁמָּ֔ה לַגּוֹיִ֖ם אֲשֶׁ֣ר סְבִיבוֹתָ֑יִךְ
בַּעֲשׂוֹתִי֩ בָ֨ךְ שְׁפָטִ֜ים בְּאַ֤ף וּבְחֵמָה֙ וּבְתֹכְח֣וֹת חֵמָ֔ה אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה דִּבַּֽרְתִּי
15 And it will be a reproach and a reviling, a chastening and a desolation for the nations which are all around you,
when I have undertaken among you judgments in anger and heat and in heated corrections. I am Yahweh. I have spoken.
3e 4C 23
25
בְּֽשַׁלְּחִ֡י אֶת־חִצֵּי֩ הָרָעָ֨ב הָרָעִ֤ים בָּהֶם֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר הָי֣וּ לְמַשְׁחִ֔ית אֲשֶׁר־אֲשַׁלַּ֥ח אוֹתָ֖ם לְשַֽׁחֶתְכֶ֑ם
וְרָעָב֙ אֹסֵ֣ף עֲלֵיכֶ֔ם וְשָׁבַרְתִּ֥י לָכֶ֖ם מַטֵּה־לָֽחֶם
16 When I send the evil arrows of famine against them, which are for the destruction that I will send them out to destroy.
And famine I will add against you, and I will break your branch of bread.
3e 4C 32
18
וְשִׁלַּחְתִּ֣י עֲ֠לֵיכֶם רָעָ֞ב וְחַיָּ֤ה רָעָה֙ וְשִׁכְּלֻ֔ךְ וְדֶ֥בֶר וָדָ֖ם יַעֲבָר־בָּ֑ךְ
וְחֶ֙רֶב֙ אָבִ֣יא עָלַ֔יִךְ אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה דִּבַּֽרְתִּי
17 And I will send against you a famine, and evil animals. They will bereave you, and pestilence and blood will traverse among you.
And sword I will bring against you. I am Yahweh. I have spoken.
3e 4C 26
15


No comments:

Post a Comment