Sunday 29 October 2017

Genesis 20

I have never noted before that Sarah was reproved. This word is a keyword for the interpretation of the book of Job. (See Susannah Ticciati's book on Job.) JB says of these words in verse 16
וְאֵ֥ת כֹּ֖ל וְנֹכָֽחַת
that they resist translation. This is true. The atnah that precedes these words is in an unexpected place. The word יכח does not signify vindication pace NIV. A little reproof for the situation is surely due to Sarah.

Abraham appears here to have both a fearful and a resentful character. (Verse 13.) Is the half-sister relationship a reason that Sarah was barren?

Genesis 20 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיִּסַּ֨ע מִשָּׁ֤ם אַבְרָהָם֙ אַ֣רְצָה הַנֶּ֔גֶב וַיֵּ֥שֶׁב בֵּין־קָדֵ֖שׁ וּבֵ֣ין שׁ֑וּר
וַיָּ֖גָר בִּגְרָֽר
1 So Abraham migrated from there toward the land of south,
and settled between Qadesh and Shur, and he resided in Gerar.
3e 4C 22
5
וַיֹּ֧אמֶר אַבְרָהָ֛ם אֶל־שָׂרָ֥ה אִשְׁתּ֖וֹ אֲחֹ֣תִי הִ֑וא
וַיִּשְׁלַ֗ח אֲבִימֶ֙לֶךְ֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ גְּרָ֔ר וַיִּקַּ֖ח אֶת־שָׂרָֽה
2 And Abraham said about Sarah, his wife, My sister she is.
And Abimelek, the king of Gerar, sent and he took Sarah.
3c 4B 15
17
וַיָּבֹ֧א אֱלֹהִ֛ים אֶל־אֲבִימֶ֖לֶךְ בַּחֲל֣וֹם הַלָּ֑יְלָה
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר ל֗וֹ הִנְּךָ֥ מֵת֙ עַל־הָאִשָּׁ֣ה אֲשֶׁר־לָקַ֔חְתָּ וְהִ֖וא בְּעֻ֥לַת בָּֽעַל
3 But God came to Abimelek in a dream by night,
and said to him, Behold, you are dead by the woman that you have taken, for she is married to a husband.
3c 4B 17
23
וַאֲבִימֶ֕לֶךְ לֹ֥א קָרַ֖ב אֵלֶ֑יהָ
וַיֹּאמַ֕ר אֲדֹנָ֕י הֲג֥וֹי גַּם־צַדִּ֖יק תַּהֲרֹֽג
4 But Abimelek had not come near to her,
and he said, My Lord, the righteous nation will you also slay?
3e 4A 11
15
הֲלֹ֨א ה֤וּא אָֽמַר־לִי֙ אֲחֹ֣תִי הִ֔וא וְהִֽיא־גַם־הִ֥וא אָֽמְרָ֖ה אָחִ֣י ה֑וּא
בְּתָם־לְבָבִ֛י וּבְנִקְיֹ֥ן כַּפַּ֖י עָשִׂ֥יתִי זֹֽאת
5 Did he not say to me, My sister she is? And she, even she herself said, My brother, he is.
In the completeness of my heart and in the innocence of my palms, I have done this.
3d 4C 19
14
וַיֹּאמֶר֩ אֵלָ֨יו הָֽאֱלֹהִ֜ים בַּחֲלֹ֗ם גַּ֣ם אָנֹכִ֤י יָדַ֙עְתִּי֙ כִּ֤י בְתָם־לְבָבְךָ֙ עָשִׂ֣יתָ זֹּ֔את וָאֶחְשֹׂ֧ךְ גַּם־אָנֹכִ֛י אֽוֹתְךָ֖ מֵחֲטוֹ־לִ֑י
עַל־כֵּ֥ן לֹא־נְתַתִּ֖יךָ לִנְגֹּ֥עַ אֵלֶֽיהָ
6 And God said to him in the dream, Even I myself know that in the completeness of your heart you have done this, for even I myself kept you back from sinning against me,
so I did not permit you to touch her.
3c 4C 42
13
וְעַתָּ֗ה הָשֵׁ֤ב אֵֽשֶׁת־הָאִישׁ֙ כִּֽי־נָבִ֣יא ה֔וּא וְיִתְפַּלֵּ֥ל בַּֽעַדְךָ֖ וֶֽחְיֵ֑ה
וְאִם־אֵֽינְךָ֣ מֵשִׁ֗יב דַּ֚ע כִּי־מ֣וֹת תָּמ֔וּת אַתָּ֖ה וְכָל־אֲשֶׁר־לָֽךְ
7 So now, return the wife of the man, for a prophet he is, and he will intercede for you, then you will live.
And if it is not in you to restore, know that to die, you will die, you and all that are yours.
3e 4C 21
18
וַיַּשְׁכֵּ֨ם אֲבִימֶ֜לֶךְ בַּבֹּ֗קֶר וַיִּקְרָא֙ לְכָל־עֲבָדָ֔יו וַיְדַבֵּ֛ר אֶת־כָּל־הַדְּבָרִ֥ים הָאֵ֖לֶּה בְּאָזְנֵיהֶ֑ם
וַיִּֽירְא֥וּ הָאֲנָשִׁ֖ים מְאֹֽד
8 And Abimelek rose up early in the morning, and he called for all his servants, and spoke all these words in their ears,
and the men feared much.
3d 4A 33
9
וַיִּקְרָ֨א אֲבִימֶ֜לֶךְ לְאַבְרָהָ֗ם וַיֹּ֨אמֶר ל֜וֹ מֶֽה־עָשִׂ֤יתָ לָּ֙נוּ֙ וּמֶֽה־חָטָ֣אתִי לָ֔ךְ כִּֽי־הֵבֵ֧אתָ עָלַ֛י וְעַל־מַמְלַכְתִּ֖י חֲטָאָ֣ה גְדֹלָ֑ה
מַעֲשִׂים֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר לֹא־יֵֽעָשׂ֔וּ עָשִׂ֖יתָ עִמָּדִֽי
9 And Abimelek called to Abraham and said to him, What have you done to us? and how have I sinned against you that you brought on me and over my kingdom a great sin?
Deeds that should not be done, you have done against me.
3c 4C 43
14
וַיֹּ֥אמֶר אֲבִימֶ֖לֶךְ אֶל־אַבְרָהָ֑ם
מָ֣ה רָאִ֔יתָ כִּ֥י עָשִׂ֖יתָ אֶת־הַדָּבָ֥ר הַזֶּֽה
10 Then Abimelek said to Abraham,
What have you seen that you have done this thing?
3e 4B 11
14
וַיֹּ֙אמֶר֙ אַבְרָהָ֔ם כִּ֣י אָמַ֗רְתִּי רַ֚ק אֵין־יִרְאַ֣ת אֱלֹהִ֔ים בַּמָּק֖וֹם הַזֶּ֑ה
וַהֲרָג֖וּנִי עַל־דְּבַ֥ר אִשְׁתִּֽי
11 Then Abraham said, For I said, Certainly there is no fear of God in this place,
and they will slay me over the matter of my wife.
3e 4C 22
10
וְגַם־אָמְנָ֗ה אֲחֹתִ֤י בַת־אָבִי֙ הִ֔וא אַ֖ךְ לֹ֣א בַת־אִמִּ֑י
וַתְּהִי־לִ֖י לְאִשָּֽׁה
12 And moreover, truly my sister, the daughter of my father himself, but not the daughter of my mother,
and she became my wife.
3e 4C 16
6
וַיְהִ֞י כַּאֲשֶׁ֧ר הִתְע֣וּ אֹתִ֗י אֱלֹהִים֮ מִבֵּ֣ית אָבִי֒ וָאֹמַ֣ר לָ֔הּ זֶ֣ה חַסְדֵּ֔ךְ אֲשֶׁ֥ר תַּעֲשִׂ֖י עִמָּדִ֑י
אֶ֤ל כָּל־הַמָּקוֹם֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר נָב֣וֹא שָׁ֔מָּה אִמְרִי־לִ֖י אָחִ֥י הֽוּא
13 And it happened that as God made me wander from the house of my father, that I said to her, This is your kindness that you will do about me.
At every place where we are come, say of me, My brother he is.
3c 4C 31
17
וַיִּקַּ֨ח אֲבִימֶ֜לֶךְ צֹ֣אן וּבָקָ֗ר וַעֲבָדִים֙ וּשְׁפָחֹ֔ת וַיִּתֵּ֖ן לְאַבְרָהָ֑ם
וַיָּ֣שֶׁב ל֔וֹ אֵ֖ת שָׂרָ֥ה אִשְׁתּֽוֹ
14 And Abimelek took sheep and oxen and servants and handmaids, and he gave to Abraham,
and restored to him Sarah his wife.
3e 4B 25
9
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֲבִימֶ֔לֶךְ הִנֵּ֥ה אַרְצִ֖י לְפָנֶ֑יךָ
בַּטּ֥וֹב בְּעֵינֶ֖יךָ שֵֽׁב
15 Then Abimelek said, Behold my land is before you.
In its goodness in your eyes, settle.
3e 4B 15
7
וּלְשָׂרָ֣ה אָמַ֗ר הִנֵּ֨ה נָתַ֜תִּי אֶ֤לֶף כֶּ֙סֶף֙ לְאָחִ֔יךְ הִנֵּ֤ה הוּא־לָךְ֙ כְּס֣וּת עֵינַ֔יִם לְכֹ֖ל אֲשֶׁ֣ר אִתָּ֑ךְ
וְאֵ֥ת כֹּ֖ל וְנֹכָֽחַת
16 And to Sarah he said, Behold, I have given a thousand pieces of silver to your brother. Behold, he is for you a covering of eyes, for all that are with you
And with all, so she was reproved.
3e 4C 31
7
וַיִּתְפַּלֵּ֥ל אַבְרָהָ֖ם אֶל־הָאֱלֹהִ֑ים
וַיִּרְפָּ֨א אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶת־אֲבִימֶ֧לֶךְ וְאֶת־אִשְׁתּ֛וֹ וְאַמְהֹתָ֖יו וַיֵּלֵֽדוּ
17 And Abraham interceded to this God,
and God healed Abimelek and his wife and his maidservants, and they gave birth.
3c 4A 12
23
כִּֽי־עָצֹ֤ר עָצַר֙ יְהוָ֔ה בְּעַ֥ד כָּל־רֶ֖חֶם לְבֵ֣ית אֲבִימֶ֑לֶךְ
עַל־דְּבַ֥ר שָׂרָ֖ה אֵ֥שֶׁת אַבְרָהָֽם
18 For Yahweh had contained, contained almost every womb of the household of Abimelek,
over the matter of Sarah the wife of Abraham.
3e 4C 17
10


No comments:

Post a Comment