Saturday 28 January 2017

Jeremiah 20

Whew. I had at some point typed 13 instead of 18 as the number of verses in Jeremiah 20. So now I have 5 more verses in my data. And they are a knockout punch delivered in a style even more bitter than Job 3.


Jeremiah 20 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיִּשְׁמַ֤ע פַּשְׁחוּר֙ בֶּן־אִמֵּ֣ר הַכֹּהֵ֔ן וְהֽוּא־פָקִ֥יד נָגִ֖יד בְּבֵ֣ית יְהוָ֑ה
אֶֽת־יִרְמְיָ֔הוּ נִבָּ֖א אֶת־הַדְּבָרִ֥ים הָאֵֽלֶּה
1 And Pashur heard, (child of Immer the priest), and he was an officer and aristocrat in the house of Yahweh,
Jeremiah has prophesied these words.
3e 4C 21
14
וַיַּכֶּ֣ה פַשְׁח֔וּר אֵ֖ת יִרְמְיָ֣הוּ הַנָּבִ֑יא
וַיִּתֵּ֨ן אֹת֜וֹ עַל־הַמַּהְפֶּ֗כֶת אֲשֶׁ֨ר בְּשַׁ֤עַר בִּנְיָמִן֙ הָֽעֶלְי֔וֹן אֲשֶׁ֖ר בְּבֵ֥ית יְהוָֽה
2 And Pashur struck Jeremiah the prophet,
and he assigned him to the pillory that was at the gate of Benjamin, the higher, that was by the house of Yahweh.
3e 4C 13
27
וַֽיְהִי֙ מִֽמָּחֳרָ֔ת וַיֹּצֵ֥א פַשְׁח֛וּר אֶֽת־יִרְמְיָ֖הוּ מִן־הַמַּהְפָּ֑כֶת
וַיֹּ֨אמֶר אֵלָ֜יו יִרְמְיָ֗הוּ לֹ֤א פַשְׁחוּר֙ קָרָ֤א יְהוָה֙ שְׁמֶ֔ךָ כִּ֖י אִם־מָג֥וֹר מִסָּבִֽיב
3 And it happened afterwards that Pashur brought forth Jeremiah from the pillory.
And Jeremiah said to him, Not 'Pashur', did Yahweh call your name, but Terror-surrounding.
3d 4C 21
26
כִּ֣י כֹ֣ה אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֡ה הִנְנִי֩ נֹתֶנְךָ֨ לְמָג֜וֹר לְךָ֣ וּלְכָל־אֹהֲבֶ֗יךָ וְנָֽפְל֛וּ בְּחֶ֥רֶב אֹיְבֵיהֶ֖ם וְעֵינֶ֣יךָ רֹא֑וֹת
וְאֶת־כָּל־יְהוּדָ֗ה אֶתֵּן֙ בְּיַ֣ד מֶֽלֶךְ־בָּבֶ֔ל וְהִגְלָ֥ם בָּבֶ֖לָה וְהִכָּ֥ם בֶּחָֽרֶב
4 B Because thus says Yahweh, Note me well. I will consign you to your own terror, and all those who love you, and they will fall by the sword of their enemies and your eyes will see.
And all Judah I will give into the hand of the king of Babel, and he will exile them to Babel, and will strike them by the sword.
3d 4B 37
26
וְנָתַתִּ֗י אֶת־כָּל־חֹ֙סֶן֙ הָעִ֣יר הַזֹּ֔את וְאֶת־כָּל־יְגִיעָ֖הּ וְאֶת־כָּל־יְקָרָ֑הּ
וְאֵ֨ת כָּל־אוֹצְר֜וֹת מַלְכֵ֣י יְהוּדָ֗ה אֶתֵּן֙ בְּיַ֣ד אֹֽיְבֵיהֶ֔ם וּבְזָזוּם֙ וּלְקָח֔וּם וֶהֱבִיא֖וּם בָּבֶֽלָה
5 And I will consign all this invincible city, and all its labour and all its esteem.
And all the treasuries of the kings of Judah, I will consign into the hand of their enemies, and they will despoil them and take them and bring them to Babel.
3e 4B 24
30
וְאַתָּ֣ה פַשְׁח֗וּר וְכֹל֙ יֹשְׁבֵ֣י בֵיתֶ֔ךָ תֵּלְכ֖וּ בַּשֶּׁ֑בִי
וּבָבֶ֣ל תָּב֗וֹא וְשָׁ֤ם תָּמוּת֙ וְשָׁ֣ם תִּקָּבֵ֔ר אַתָּה֙ וְכָל־אֹ֣הֲבֶ֔יךָ אֲשֶׁר־נִבֵּ֥אתָ לָהֶ֖ם בַּשָּֽׁקֶר
6 But you Pashur, and all the inhabitants of your house, you will go into captivity,
and Babel you will enter, and there you will die, and there you will be entombed, you and all those who love you, to whom you have prophesied falsehood.
3e 4C 17
32
פִּתִּיתַ֤נִי יְהוָה֙ וָֽאֶפָּ֔ת חֲזַקְתַּ֖נִי וַתּוּכָ֑ל
הָיִ֤יתִי לִשְׂחוֹק֙ כָּל־הַיּ֔וֹם כֻּלֹּ֖ה לֹעֵ֥ג לִֽי
7 You have seduced me, Yahweh and I am seduced. You have more courage than I and you are overpowering.
I am a laughingstock all the day long. Everyone derides me.
3e 4C 16
13
כִּֽי־מִדֵּ֤י אֲדַבֵּר֙ אֶזְעָ֔ק חָמָ֥ס וָשֹׁ֖ד אֶקְרָ֑א
כִּֽי־הָיָ֨ה דְבַר־יְהוָ֥ה לִ֛י לְחֶרְפָּ֥ה וּלְקֶ֖לֶס כָּל־הַיּֽוֹם
8 For as often as I speak, I appeal. Violence and devastation I proclaim,
for the word of Yahweh is for me for a reproach, and for ridicule all the day long.
3d 4C 13
16
וְאָמַרְתִּ֣י לֹֽא־אֶזְכְּרֶ֗נּוּ וְלֹֽא־אֲדַבֵּ֥ר עוֹד֙ בִּשְׁמ֔וֹ וְהָיָ֤ה בְלִבִּי֙ כְּאֵ֣שׁ בֹּעֶ֔רֶת עָצֻ֖ר בְּעַצְמֹתָ֑י
וְנִלְאֵ֥יתִי כַּֽלְכֵ֖ל וְלֹ֥א אוּכָֽל
9 Then I say, I will not remember him and I will not speak any more in his name, and it will be in my heart as fire kindled, contained in my bones,
and my exasperation is nourished, and I am overpowered.
3e 4C 33
10
כִּ֣י שָׁמַ֜עְתִּי דִּבַּ֣ת רַבִּים֮ מָג֣וֹר מִסָּבִיב֒ הַגִּ֙ידוּ֙ וְנַגִּידֶ֔נּוּ כֹּ֚ל אֱנ֣וֹשׁ שְׁלוֹמִ֔י שֹׁמְרֵ֖י צַלְעִ֑י
אוּלַ֤י יְפֻתֶּה֙ וְנ֣וּכְלָה ל֔וֹ וְנִקְחָ֥ה נִקְמָתֵ֖נוּ מִמֶּֽנּוּ
10 B For I have heard the defamation of many, terror surrounding, Announce and we will announce it. Every mortal of my peace watches my halting.
Maybe he will be seduced, and we will overpower him, and we will take our vengeance out of him.
3e 4C 31
19
וַֽיהוָ֤ה אוֹתִי֙ כְּגִבּ֣וֹר עָרִ֔יץ עַל־כֵּ֛ן רֹדְפַ֥י יִכָּשְׁל֖וּ וְלֹ֣א יֻכָ֑לוּ
בֹּ֤שׁוּ מְאֹד֙ כִּֽי־לֹ֣א הִשְׂכִּ֔ילוּ כְּלִמַּ֥ת עוֹלָ֖ם לֹ֥א תִשָּׁכֵֽחַ
11 But Yahweh is with me as one who prevails, ruthless, so my persecutors, they will stumble and they will not overpower.
They will be very ashamed for they did not have insight into their humiliation that will never be forgotten.
3d 4C 21
18
וַיהוָ֤ה צְבָאוֹת֙ בֹּחֵ֣ן צַדִּ֔יק רֹאֶ֥ה כְלָי֖וֹת וָלֵ֑ב
אֶרְאֶ֤ה נִקְמָֽתְךָ֙ מֵהֶ֔ם כִּ֥י אֵלֶ֖יךָ גִּלִּ֥יתִי אֶת־רִיבִֽי
12 But Yahweh of hosts is testing a righteous one, seeing vital centres and heart.
I will see your vengeance out of them, for to you I have uncovered my cause.
3e 4C 16
17
שִׁ֚ירוּ לַֽיהוָ֔ה הַֽלְל֖וּ אֶת־יְהוָ֑ה
כִּ֥י הִצִּ֛יל אֶת־נֶ֥פֶשׁ אֶבְי֖וֹן מִיַּ֥ד מְרֵעִֽים
13 C Sing to Yahweh, praise Yahweh,
for he has delivered the throat of the needy from the hand of evildoers.
3d 4C 9
13
אָר֣וּר הַיּ֔וֹם אֲשֶׁ֥ר יֻלַּ֖דְתִּי בּ֑וֹ
י֛וֹם אֲשֶׁר־יְלָדַ֥תְנִי אִמִּ֖י אַל־יְהִ֥י בָרֽוּךְ
14 B Cursed the day in which I was born,
the day that my mother gave birth to me, let it not be blessed.
3d 4B 10
14
אָר֣וּר הָאִ֗ישׁ אֲשֶׁ֨ר בִּשַּׂ֤ר אֶת־אָבִי֙ לֵאמֹ֔ר יֻֽלַּד־לְךָ֖ בֵּ֣ן זָכָ֑ר
שַׂמֵּ֖חַ שִׂמֳּחָֽהוּ
15 B Cursed the person that brought good news to my father, saying, Born to you is a child, male,
gladness, making him glad.
3e 4C 20
7
וְהָיָה֙ הָאִ֣ישׁ הַה֔וּא כֶּֽעָרִ֛ים אֲשֶׁר־הָפַ֥ךְ יְהוָ֖ה וְלֹ֣א נִחָ֑ם
וְשָׁמַ֤ע זְעָקָה֙ בַּבֹּ֔קֶר וּתְרוּעָ֖ה בְּעֵ֥ת צָהֳרָֽיִם
16 And let this man be, this very one, as the cities that Yahweh overturned, and sighed not.
And let him hear an appeal in the morning, and a shout of triumph at noontide,
3d 4C 20
18
אֲשֶׁ֥ר לֹא־ מוֹתְתַ֖נִי מֵרָ֑חֶם
וַתְּהִי־לִ֤י אִמִּי֙ קִבְרִ֔י וְרַחְמָ֖הֿ הֲרַ֥ת עוֹלָֽם
17 That he did not put me to death from the womb,
or that for me my mother might have been my tomb, and her womb pregnant ever.
3e 4C 9
14
לָ֤מָּה זֶּה֙ מֵרֶ֣חֶם יָצָ֔אתִי לִרְא֥וֹת עָמָ֖ל וְיָג֑וֹן
וַיִּכְל֥וּ בְּבֹ֖שֶׁת יָמָֽי
18 C Why from this womb did I emerge to see toil and sadness,
and my days consumed with shame.
3e 4C 16
8
(I was actually working on Numbers 14, but it is long, so I paused to do what I thought was this short chapter. And I found myself going back to programs I had not used for over a year to load 5 more verses. And they still work! I also have updated the music files on one-drive and google-drive. It turns out I had translated part of this chapter already but only in a music file, not in the database - undisciplined! The renderings were close, but the later one has better concordance. I make similar decisions as a year ago but the system has been refined over the last year. I also reran the music stats table, and there are the expected 5 additional records.)



No comments:

Post a Comment