Sunday 5 June 2016

Zechariah 4 - the vision of the lamp stand and the olive trees

Zechariah is a visionary. I should add this to my book on the music as a commentary on Exodus 25, but the book is long enough. Yet surely this visionary is returning to a hope that was from the beginning.  Yet we must imagine the vision. Chose for yourself an image. The music has a clear frame.

The opening of verse 1 has a similar beginning to the opening of verse 14. It is not uncommon. It occurs 96 times, five of them in Zechariah.

[2018.01] globe, to agree with the image and word in Ecclesiastes 12, the golden globe. And with the words concerning Solomon's temple, 1 Chronicles 4 and others. I am reading the stem as גלה. It could be merged with גלל. The separation of stems can lead to confusion. My tendency now is to merge and to separate later when usage is identified by word form. (Most emphatically not by part of speech. Hebrew nouns verbs and verbs nouns even more than English.)
Zechariah 4 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיָּ֕שָׁב הַמַּלְאָ֖ךְ הַדֹּבֵ֣ר בִּ֑י
וַיְעִירֵ֕נִי כְּאִ֖ישׁ אֲשֶׁר־יֵע֥וֹר מִשְּׁנָתֽוֹ
1 And the angel of the one speaking in me turned,
and aroused me, as a person who is roused from its sleep.
3e 4B 10
13
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֔י מָ֥ה אַתָּ֖ה רֹאֶ֑ה
וָאֹמַ֡ר רָאִ֣יתִי ׀ וְהִנֵּ֣ה מְנוֹרַת֩ זָהָ֨ב כֻּלָּ֜הּ וְגֻלָּ֣הּ עַל־רֹאשָׁ֗הּ וְשִׁבְעָ֤ה נֵרֹתֶ֙יהָ֙ עָלֶ֔יהָ שִׁבְעָ֤ה וְשִׁבְעָה֙ מֽוּצָק֔וֹת לַנֵּר֖וֹת אֲשֶׁ֥ר עַל־רֹאשָֽׁהּ
2 And he said to me, What are you seeing?
And I said, I saw and behold a lamp stand of gold, all of her, and a globe on her top, and her seven lamps on her are seven, and seven infusions to the lamps that are on her top.
3e 4C 10
48
וּשְׁנַ֥יִם זֵיתִ֖ים עָלֶ֑יהָ
אֶחָד֙ מִימִ֣ין הַגֻּלָּ֔ה וְאֶחָ֖ד עַל־שְׂמֹאלָֽהּ
3 And two olive trees by her,
one on the right hand of the globe and one on her left.
3e 4B 7
14
וָאַ֙עַן֙ וָֽאֹמַ֔ר אֶל־הַמַּלְאָ֛ךְ הַדֹּבֵ֥ר בִּ֖י לֵאמֹ֑ר
מָה־אֵ֖לֶּה אֲדֹנִֽי
4 Then I answered, and I said to the angel of the one speaking in me, saying,
What are these, my Lord?
3d 4A 16
6
וַ֠יַּעַן הַמַּלְאָ֞ךְ הַדֹּבֵ֥ר בִּי֙ וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֔י הֲל֥וֹא יָדַ֖עְתָּ מָה־הֵ֣מָּה אֵ֑לֶּה
וָאֹמַ֖ר לֹ֥א אֲדֹנִֽי
5 ~ And the angel of the one speaking in me answered and said to me, Do you not know what they are, these?
And I said, No, my Lord.
3e 4B 25
7
וַיַּ֜עַן וַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֵלַי֙ לֵאמֹ֔ר זֶ֚ה דְּבַר־יְהוָ֔ה אֶל־זְרֻבָּבֶ֖ל לֵאמֹ֑ר
לֹ֤א בְחַ֙יִל֙ וְלֹ֣א בְכֹ֔חַ כִּ֣י אִם־בְּרוּחִ֔י אָמַ֖ר יְהוָ֥ה צְבָאֽוֹת
6 And he answered and he said to me, saying, This is the word of Yahweh to Zerubbabel, saying,
Not by force and not by power, but rather, by my spirit, says Yahweh of hosts.
3e 4C 22
21
מִֽי־אַתָּ֧ה הַֽר־הַגָּד֛וֹל לִפְנֵ֥י זְרֻבָּבֶ֖ל לְמִישֹׁ֑ר
וְהוֹצִיא֙ אֶת־הָאֶ֣בֶן הָרֹאשָׁ֔ה תְּשֻׁא֕וֹת חֵ֥ן חֵ֖ן לָֽהּ
7 Who are you, great hill, in the presence of Zerubbabel? A level place.
And he will bring forth her head-stone, ruinous grace, grace for her.
3c 4B 15
16
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 8 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
יְדֵ֣י זְרֻבָּבֶ֗ל יִסְּד֛וּ הַבַּ֥יִת הַזֶּ֖ה וְיָדָ֣יו תְּבַצַּ֑עְנָה
וְיָ֣דַעְתָּ֔ כִּֽי־יְהוָ֥ה צְבָא֖וֹת שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם
9 The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house so his own hands will gain,
and you will know that Yahweh of hosts sent me to you.
3d 4B 20
18
כִּ֣י מִ֣י בַז֮ לְי֣וֹם קְטַנּוֹת֒ וְשָׂמְח֗וּ וְרָא֞וּ אֶת־הָאֶ֧בֶן הַבְּדִ֛יל בְּיַ֥ד זְרֻבָּבֶ֖ל שִׁבְעָה־אֵ֑לֶּה
עֵינֵ֣י יְהוָ֔ה הֵ֥מָּה מְשׁוֹטְטִ֖ים בְּכָל־הָאָֽרֶץ
10 B For who is contemptuous of the day of lesser things? And they will be glad and see the stone smelted by the hand of Zerubbabel, these seven.
They are the eyes of Yahweh roving in all the land.
3c 4B 30
14
וָאַ֖עַן וָאֹמַ֣ר אֵלָ֑יו
מַה־שְּׁנֵ֤י הַזֵּיתִים֙ הָאֵ֔לֶה עַל־יְמִ֥ין הַמְּנוֹרָ֖ה וְעַל־שְׂמֹאולָֽהּ
11 Then I answered and said to him,
What are these two olive trees on the right hand of the lamp stand and on her left?
3e 4C 8
20
וָאַ֣עַן שֵׁנִ֔ית וָאֹמַ֖ר אֵלָ֑יו
מַה־שְׁתֵּ֞י שִׁבֲּלֵ֣י הַזֵּיתִ֗ים אֲשֶׁר֙ בְּיַ֗ד שְׁנֵי֙ צַנְתְּר֣וֹת הַזָּהָ֔ב הַֽמְרִיקִ֥ים מֵעֲלֵיהֶ֖ם הַזָּהָֽב
12 And I answered a second time and said to him,
What are two stalks of the olive trees, that by the hand of two gold culverts, empty from themselves the gold?
3e 4B 10
31
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֵלַי֙ לֵאמֹ֔ר הֲל֥וֹא יָדַ֖עְתָּ מָה־אֵ֑לֶּה
וָאֹמַ֖ר לֹ֥א אֲדֹנִֽי
13 And he said to me, saying, Do you not know what these are?
And I said, No, my Lord.
3e 4C 15
7
וַיֹּ֕אמֶר אֵ֖לֶּה שְׁנֵ֣י בְנֵֽי־הַיִּצְהָ֑ר
הָעֹמְדִ֖ים עַל־אֲד֥וֹן כָּל־הָאָֽרֶץ
14 And he said, These are the two children of midday,
those standing by the Lord of all the land.
3e 4B 11
10


No comments:

Post a Comment