Saturday 4 April 2015

Song 7 and 8

Is this a first pass? No, it is about the third or fourth, but still I am a novice, and when I read the dictionaries, I think I hear the scholars of the past saying: This is what we assigned to the word, take our word for it - and they are legion and I don't know if they know anything, but they have thought and thought and turned and turned and hopefully are not now turning in their graves as I do this minute and painstaking work on their feet - or is it shoulders.

I have changed some of the glosses in the already published chapters - one of interest is חמק, collected by BDB with חמוק, clearly sounding alike - so I switched gone away to curved away or if you prefer swerved away, with its companion 'passed through' (not over) in chapter 5 so it would sound like the curved thighs of chapter 7. (Ed. O Bob, you didn't!).

To the right is my picture of the domains in the Song - I may or may not evolve additional high level domains - I can't tell yet. And all this guesswork is subject to adjustment. You don't see much trouble (2%) in the Song though much will come of it. If you want to study body parts, the Song is a good place to start.

Hmm are these all body parts? - Nope but arouse עור is also skin, and are they complete? nope, one synonym under legs שׁוק is desire which I rendered as aspiration - nice eh and put into a different domain/subdomain? It has to work in the other two places in Genesis where this word is used. Guess where. Eve's 'desire', and Sin's 'desire' for Cain.
אצבע
1
and my fingers
בטן
1
your belly
זרע
1
your arm
חך
2
and your palate
חך
2
to my palate
חמק
1
the curves of
יד
4
his hand
יד
4
his hands are
יד
4
the hands of
יד
4
and my hands
ימן
2
and his right hand
ירך
2
his thigh
ירך
2
your thighs are
לחי
2
your cheeks
לחי
2
his cheeks
לשׁון
1
your tongue
מעה
2
his abdomen
מעה
2
and my inner parts
עור
8
is aroused
עור
8
you arouse
עור
8
I aroused you
עור
8
if you arouse
עור
8
you rouse
עור
8
be roused
עור
8
you arouse
עין
9
in his eyes
עין
9
glance from your eyes
עין
9
a spring of
עין
9
a spring
עין
9
your eyes
עין
9
his eyes
פה
1
his mouth
צור
4
your neck
צור
4
from your neck
צמה
3
your veil
ראשׁ
9
for my head
ראשׁ
9
his head
ראשׁ
9
preeminent
ראשׁ
9
from the head of
ראשׁ
9
my head
ראשׁ
9
my head
ראשׁ
9
your head
רגל
1
my feet
שׁד
8
my breasts
שׁד
8
your breasts
שׁד
8
the breasts of
שׁד
8
and breasts
שׁד
8
and my breasts
שׁד
8
and your breasts
שׁוק
2
in the lanes
שׁוק
2
his legs
שׁן
4
your teeth
שׁן
4
ivory
שׁן
4
your teeth are
שׁן
4
ivory
שׁר
1
Your navel
שׂמאל
2
his left hand
שׂער
2
your hair
שׂפה
4
are your lips
שׂפה
4
lips
שׂפה
4
his lips
שׂפה
4
your lips

OK - if you get this far here are the chapters.
שׁ֤וּבִי שׁ֙וּבִי֙ הַשּׁ֣וּלַמִּ֔ית שׁ֥וּבִי שׁ֖וּבִי וְנֶחֱזֶה־בָּ֑ךְ
מַֽה־תֶּחֱזוּ֙ בַּשּׁ֣וּלַמִּ֔ית כִּמְחֹלַ֖ת הַֽמַּחֲנָֽיִם
1
Return, return, she who has peace. Return, return, and we will gaze on you.
What will you gaze on in the one who has peace? A birth between two armies?
17
16
30
24
מַה־יָּפ֧וּ פְעָמַ֛יִךְ בַּנְּעָלִ֖ים בַּת־נָדִ֑יב
חַמּוּקֵ֣י יְרֵכַ֔יִךְ כְּמ֣וֹ חֲלָאִ֔ים מַעֲשֵׂ֖ה יְדֵ֥י אָמָּֽן
2
How beautiful your footfall in sandals, O prince's daughter.
The curves of your thighs are like jewels, the construction of the hands of an artist.
13
19
22
28
שָׁרְרֵךְ֙ אַגַּ֣ן הַסַּ֔הַר אַל־יֶחְסַ֖ר הַמָּ֑זֶג
בִּטְנֵךְ֙ עֲרֵמַ֣ת חִטִּ֔ים סוּגָ֖ה בַּשּׁוֹשַׁנִּֽים
3
Your navel is a spherical goblet not lacking mixed wine.
Your belly a pile of wheat buffered among the lilies.
13
13
21
23
שְׁנֵ֥י שָׁדַ֛יִךְ כִּשְׁנֵ֥י עֳפָרִ֖ים תָּאֳמֵ֥י צְבִיָּֽה
4
Your two breasts are like two twin faun of the gazelle host.
16
24
צַוָּארֵ֖ךְ כְּמִגְדַּ֣ל הַשֵּׁ֑ן
עֵינַ֜יִךְ בְּרֵכ֣וֹת בְּחֶשְׁבּ֗וֹן עַל־שַׁ֙עַר֙ בַּת־רַבִּ֔ים אַפֵּךְ֙ כְּמִגְדַּ֣ל הַלְּבָנ֔וֹן צוֹפֶ֖ה פְּנֵ֥י דַמָּֽשֶׂק
5
Your neck like the tower of ivory,
your eyes blessings in Heshbon over the gate of the daughter of many, your nose like a tower of Lebanon looking out to the face of Damascus.
8
30
13
52
רֹאשֵׁ֤ךְ עָלַ֙יִךְ֙ כַּכַּרְמֶ֔ל וְדַלַּ֥ת רֹאשֵׁ֖ךְ כָּאַרְגָּמָ֑ן
מֶ֖לֶךְ אָס֥וּר בָּרְהָטִֽים
6
Your head upon you like Carmel and the tresses of your head like purple,
a king is bound in the hollows.
17
7
27
13
מַה־יָּפִית֙ וּמַה־נָּעַ֔מְתְּ אַהֲבָ֖ה בַּתַּֽעֲנוּגִֽים
7
How beautiful you are and how pleasant, O love in delicacies.
16
25
זֹ֤את קֽוֹמָתֵךְ֙ דָּֽמְתָ֣ה לְתָמָ֔ר וְשָׁדַ֖יִךְ לְאַשְׁכֹּלֽוֹת
8
This, your arising is like a palm tree and your breasts, clusters.
17
28
אָמַ֙רְתִּי֙ אֶעֱלֶ֣ה בְתָמָ֔ר אֹֽחֲזָ֖ה בְּסַנְסִנָּ֑יו
וְיִֽהְיוּ־נָ֤א שָׁדַ֙יִךְ֙ כְּאֶשְׁכְּל֣וֹת הַגֶּ֔פֶן וְרֵ֥יחַ אַפֵּ֖ךְ כַּתַּפּוּחִֽים
9
I said, I will ascend into the palm tree and I will gaze on its tufts,
and they will become - please - your breasts, as the clusters of the vine; the fragrance of your nose as apricots.
16
22
24
36
וְחִכֵּ֕ךְ כְּיֵ֥ין הַטּ֛וֹב הוֹלֵ֥ךְ לְדוֹדִ֖י לְמֵישָׁרִ֑ים
דּוֹבֵ֖ב שִׂפְתֵ֥י יְשֵׁנִֽים
10
And your palate as fine wine, going to my beloved in uprightness, gliding over sleeping lips.
16
7
28
13
אֲנִ֣י לְדוֹדִ֔י וְעָלַ֖י תְּשׁוּקָתֽוֹ
11
I am my beloved's and over me is his aspiration.
12
18
לְכָ֤ה דוֹדִי֙ נֵצֵ֣א הַשָּׂדֶ֔ה נָלִ֖ינָה בַּכְּפָרִֽים
12
Come, my beloved, let us go forth into the field, let us bide our time among lion cubs.
15
25
נַשְׁכִּ֙ימָה֙ לַכְּרָמִ֔ים נִרְאֶ֞ה אִם פָּֽרְחָ֤ה הַגֶּ֙פֶן֙ פִּתַּ֣ח הַסְּמָדַ֔ר הֵנֵ֖צוּ הָרִמּוֹנִ֑ים
שָׁ֛ם אֶתֵּ֥ן אֶת־דֹּדַ֖י לָֽךְ
13
Let us go early to the vineyards. Let us see if the vine is flourishing, the tender bud opened, the pomegranates budded.
There I will give my caress to you.
26
7
45
12
הַֽדּוּדָאִ֣ים נָֽתְנוּ־רֵ֗יחַ וְעַל־פְּתָחֵ֙ינוּ֙ כָּל־מְגָדִ֔ים חֲדָשִׁ֖ים גַּם־יְשָׁנִ֑ים
דּוֹדִ֖י צָפַ֥נְתִּי לָֽךְ
14
The mandrakes give fragrance and over our doors, all quality new, even of old store,
my beloved, I have treasured up for you.
24
6
42
11
And you need to know about Mandrakes - the root is an aphrodisiac and the stem is the same as beloved, or David, דוד. So these stems repeat from verses 10 to 14
Word / Gloss
1
2
3
4
Vs
Stem
לדודי to my beloved
10
דוד
ישׁנים sleeping
10
ישׁן
לדודי my beloved's
11
דוד
דודי my beloved
12
דוד
פתח opened
13
פתח
אתן I will give
13
נתן
דדי my caress
13
דוד
הדודאים the mandrakes
14
דוד
נתנו give
14
נתן
פתחינו doors
14
פתח
ישׁנים of old store
14
ישׁן
דודי my beloved
14
דוד
Chapter 8 - the end.
מִ֤י יִתֶּנְךָ֙ כְּאָ֣ח לִ֔י יוֹנֵ֖ק שְׁדֵ֣י אִמִּ֑י
אֶֽמְצָאֲךָ֤ בַחוּץ֙ אֶשָׁ֣קְךָ֔ גַּ֖ם לֹא־יָב֥וּזוּ לִֽי
1
Who will give you as brother to me, as one who suckled the breasts of my mother.
I would find you outside. I would kiss you, and furthermore none would disdain me.
13
15
21
24
אֶנְהָֽגֲךָ֗ אֲבִֽיאֲךָ֛ אֶל־בֵּ֥ית אִמִּ֖י תְּלַמְּדֵ֑נִי
אַשְׁקְךָ֙ מִיַּ֣יִן הָרֶ֔קַח מֵעֲסִ֖יס רִמֹּנִֽי
2
I would lead you away, make you come to the house of my mother, who teaches me.
I would make you drink of the piquant wine from the pressings of my pomegranate.
16
14
24
21
שְׂמֹאלוֹ֙ תַּ֣חַת רֹאשִׁ֔י וִֽימִינ֖וֹ תְּחַבְּקֵֽנִי
3
His left hand is under my head, and his right hand clasps me.
14
24
הִשְׁבַּ֥עְתִּי אֶתְכֶ֖ם בְּנ֣וֹת יְרוּשָׁלִָ֑ם
מַה־תָּעִ֧ירוּ ׀ וּֽמַה־תְּעֹֽרְר֛וּ אֶת־הָאַהֲבָ֖ה עַ֥ד שֶׁתֶּחְפָּֽץ
4
I have adjured you, daughters of Jerusalem, how you rouse, or how you arouse this love till it delight.
11
18
20
29
מִ֣י זֹ֗את עֹלָה֙ מִן־הַמִּדְבָּ֔ר מִתְרַפֶּ֖קֶת עַל־דּוֹדָ֑הּ
תַּ֤חַת הַתַּפּ֙וּחַ֙ עֽוֹרַרְתִּ֔יךָ שָׁ֚מָּה חִבְּלַ֣תְךָ אִמֶּ֔ךָ שָׁ֖מָּה חִבְּלָ֥ה יְלָדַֽתְךָ
5
Who is this ascending from the wilderness recumbent on her beloved?
Under the apricot tree I aroused you. There your mother held you in pledge. There she pledged who gave you birth.
15
26
27
38
שִׂימֵ֨נִי כַֽחוֹתָ֜ם עַל־לִבֶּ֗ךָ כַּֽחוֹתָם֙ עַל־זְרוֹעֶ֔ךָ כִּֽי־עַזָּ֤ה כַמָּ֙וֶת֙ אַהֲבָ֔ה קָשָׁ֥ה כִשְׁא֖וֹל קִנְאָ֑ה
רְשָׁפֶ֕יהָ רִשְׁפֵּ֕י אֵ֖שׁ שַׁלְהֶ֥בֶתְיָֽה
6
Set me in place as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for strong as death is love, hard as the grave, jealousy.
Its fire-brands are fire-brands of fire, that are its flame.
32
11
52
18
מַ֣יִם רַבִּ֗ים לֹ֤א יֽוּכְלוּ֙ לְכַבּ֣וֹת אֶת־הָֽאַהֲבָ֔ה וּנְהָר֖וֹת לֹ֣א יִשְׁטְפ֑וּהָ
אִם־יִתֵּ֨ן אִ֜ישׁ אֶת־כָּל־ה֤וֹן בֵּיתוֹ֙ בָּאַהֲבָ֔ה בּ֖וֹז יָב֥וּזוּ לֽוֹ
7
Many waters cannot quench this love nor will rivers drown it.
If anyone would give all the value of his house for love, to contempt they would hold him, to contempt.
22
18
40
34
אָח֥וֹת לָ֙נוּ֙ קְטַנָּ֔ה וְשָׁדַ֖יִם אֵ֣ין לָ֑הּ
מַֽה־נַּעֲשֶׂה֙ לַאֲחֹתֵ֔נוּ בַּיּ֖וֹם שֶׁיְּדֻבַּר־בָּֽהּ
8
We have a younger sister. And her breasts are of no account. What will we do for our sister on the day that she is spoken for?
12
15
21
23
אִם־חוֹמָ֣ה הִ֔יא נִבְנֶ֥ה עָלֶ֖יהָ טִ֣ירַת כָּ֑סֶף
וְאִם־דֶּ֣לֶת הִ֔יא נָצ֥וּר עָלֶ֖יהָ ל֥וּחַ אָֽרֶז
9
If she is a wall, we will build on it a row of silver. If she is a portal, we will fortify her with boards of cedar.
13
14
24
23
אֲנִ֣י חוֹמָ֔ה וְשָׁדַ֖י כַּמִּגְדָּל֑וֹת
אָ֛ז הָיִ֥יתִי בְעֵינָ֖יו כְּמוֹצְאֵ֥ת שָׁלֽוֹם
10
I am a wall, and my breasts as towers. Then I became in his eyes as one who finds wholeness.
11
12
18
23
כֶּ֣רֶם הָיָ֤ה לִשְׁלֹמֹה֙ בְּבַ֣עַל הָמ֔וֹן נָתַ֥ן אֶת־הַכֶּ֖רֶם לַנֹּטְרִ֑ים
אִ֛ישׁ יָבִ֥א בְּפִרְי֖וֹ אֶ֥לֶף כָּֽסֶף
11
Solomon had a vineyard at Baal Hamon. He gave the vineyard to minders.
Each brought for his fruit a thousand pieces of silver.
21
10
34
17
כָּרְמִ֥י שֶׁלִּ֖י לְפָנָ֑י
הָאֶ֤לֶף לְךָ֙ שְׁלֹמֹ֔ה וּמָאתַ֖יִם לְנֹטְרִ֥ים אֶת־פִּרְיֽוֹ
12
The vineyard that is mine is before me. The thousand is for you Solomon, and two hundred for those who mind his fruit.
7
17
11
28
הַיוֹשֶׁ֣בֶת בַּגַּנִּ֗ים חֲבֵרִ֛ים מַקְשִׁיבִ֥ים לְקוֹלֵ֖ךְ הַשְׁמִיעִֽינִי
13
Those sitting in gardens, companions attending, make me hear your voice.
20
36
בְּרַ֣ח ׀ דּוֹדִ֗י וּֽדְמֵה־לְךָ֤ לִצְבִי֙ א֚וֹ לְעֹ֣פֶר הָֽאַיָּלִ֔ים עַ֖ל הָרֵ֥י בְשָׂמִֽים
14
Run away, my beloved, and you be like a gazelle or the faun of the hart on the mountains of spices.
24
39



No comments:

Post a Comment