Tuesday 10 February 2015

Here it is - music in the style of TNK for the beatitudes

The translation of Margoliouth is different from Salkinson-Ginsberg. I used a combination. My accents are not going to be equivalent to Margoulith. His text is missing some text in verse 1, and while I followed his words in some cases over Salkinson-Ginberg, I did not check his accents completely. Maybe I will later. But today is today and I promised a post today. Also I used ornamentation according as I thought it appropriate to the words and the pulse of the verses. It would be surprising if he chose the same elaborations.

The setting of the scene, verse 1, is going up the mountain. So the music ascends even as Jesus ascended (aliyah, in this case ya'al). (Just like David ascended up to the upper chamber above the gate - that's where I stole the idea from).

Some of the deciphering of syllables and letters does not look right in the coded text. This is the first time I have typed such a complex bit of Hebrew and the initial paste from Salkinson Ginsberg appears to be incorrectly coded with respect to Unicode characters. [Turns out my program would not see a dagesh in a shin or sin, so I have changed it to accommodate perfectly acceptable coding and I have reprinted the PDF.]

There is a Word document, a music form, a pdf, and a music recording - what a lot of technology for 12 verses, not to mention getting the data into my database so my program could be used to produce the score - that saves days of work even for one page.

I really should give up singing, but there is no way you would understand the recitation style if I did not demonstrate it. I.e. the score is not to be sung rigidly as if note time values were fixed.

Here - hopefully this time it works
And every time I mispronounce something - just ignore it. [- update - I edited the errors out - most of them at least. It's obvious but I am a junior editor! I had been reading German lieder that day and got half my ei vowels mixed up]. I think I may even try alternative modes and consider using the markup for the ten commandments with their complex multi accented syllables. (Someday - Deuteronomy 5 is here.)

This was recorded with Audacity which I downloaded, installed, learned, and recorded in about 1/2 hour (unless my watch has stopped) - bravo for the author.

Here's the score.


Here's the text and my translation of the Hebrew (without much analysis).
וַיְהִ֧י כַּאֲשֶׁר רָאָ֛ה אֶת־הֲמוֹ֥ן הָעָ֖ם וַיַּעַ֣ל אֶל־הָהָ֑ר
וַיֵּשֶׁב שָׁ֔ם וַיִּגְּשׁ֥וּ אֵלָ֖יו תַּלְמִידָֽיו
א
And it happened as he saw the crowd of people, that he ascended to the hill,
and he sat down there and his disciples came close to him.
וַיִּפְתַּ֣ח אֶת־פִּיה֑וּ
 וַיּוֹרֶ֮ה לָהֶ֥ם לֵאמֹֽר
ב
And he opened his mouth
and taught them, saying,
אַשְׁרֵ֖י עֲנִיֵּ֣י הָר֑וּחַ
 כִּי לָהֶ֥ם מַלְכ֖וּת הַשָּׁמָֽיִם
ג
Happy are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the is the kingdom of Heaven.
אַשְׁרֵ֖י הַמִּ֣תְאַבְּלִ֑ים
 כִּי־הֵ֥ם יְנֻחָֽמוּ
ד
Happy are those who lament,
for they will be consoled.
אַשְׁרֵ֣י הָעֲנָוִ֑ים
 כִּי־הֵ֥ם יִירְשׁ֖וּ־את־הָאָֽרֶץ
ה
Happy the afflicted,
for they, they will inherit the land.
אַשְׁרֵ֖י הָרְעֵבִ֣ים וְהַצְּמֵאִ֙ים לִצְדָקָ֑ה
 כִּי־הֵ֥ם יִשְבָּֽעוּ
ו
Happy those hungering and those thirsting for righteousness,
for they - they will be satisfied.
אַשְׁרֵ֖י בַּעֲלֵ֣י־רַחֲמִ֑ים
 כִּי־הֵ֥ם יְרֻחָֽמוּ
ז
Happy are the compassionate,
for they, they will be shown compassion.
אַשְׁרֵ֖י בָּרֵ֣י לֵבָ֑ב
 כִּי־הֵ֥ם יֶחֱז֖וּ אֶת־אֱלֹהִֽים
ח
Happy are the pure in heart,
for they, they will gaze on God.
אַשְׁרֵ֖י עֹשֵׂ֣י שָׁלוֹ֑ם
 כִּי־הֵ֥ם יִקָּרְא֖וּ בְּנֵ֡י־אֱלֹהִֽים
ט
Happy those who make peace,
for they, they will be called children of God.
אַשְׁרֵ֣י הַנִּרְדָּפִ֙ים עֵקֶ֔ב צִדְקָתָ֑ם
 כִּי לָהֶ֥ם מַלְכ֖וּת הַשָּׁמָֽיִם
י
Happy those who are pursued for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
אַשְׁרֵי֖כֶם אִם־יְחָרְפ֣וּ אִם־יִרְדְּפ֞וּ אֶתְכֶ֑ם
 וּבַשֶּׁקֶ֚ר יָבִיא֣וּ דִבַּתְכֶ֜ם רָעָ֜ה בַּעֲב֖וּר שְׁמִֽי
יא
Happy are you all when people reproach you
and pursue you and in falsehood bring words against you,
שִׂמְח֥וּ וְגִיל֖וּ כִּי שְׂכַרְ֣כֶם הַרְבֶּ֩ה מְ֠אֹ֔ד בַּשָּׁמָ֑יִם
כִּי־כֵ֒ן רָדְפ֔וּ אֶת־הַנְּבִיאִ֙ים אֲשֶׁ֖ר הָיוּ֥ לִפְנֵֽיכֶם
יב
be glad and rejoice, for your wage will be greatly abundant in Heaven,
for so they reproached the prophets who were before you.


No comments:

Post a Comment