Thursday 15 January 2015

Zephaniah 3:8 as an example verse for conflicting cantillation schemes

Here's a comparison of Vantoura vs Jacobson traditional cantillation using a single verse.

I could use some help. I have changed the pdf to be easier to read and summarized the music for this verse using both methods - I don't have much confidence in my cantillation according to Jacobson since this is the first verse I have tackled.

I also was completely wrong on my first version since I used the page on Torah cantillation instead of Haftarah. That made some differences (huge differences) in shape. As well, from the CD it appears to me that all the musical shapes are generally at a constant pitch. I.e. they do not change pitch depending on the reciting note. Whereas in the SHV scheme, the ornaments do change pitch based on the reciting note. O my blinding assumptions!

Some aspects of the results in both systems may be somewhat awkward to get used to or even be somewhat unsingable. That's for future considerations. Meanwhile I am going to get back to translation. I might as well finish Zephaniah now that I have started it. It's not a book I know very well. Maybe will concentrate on the 12 for a while.

And here's a translation
לָכֵ֤ן חַכּוּ־לִי֙ נְאֻם־יְהוָ֔ה לְי֖וֹם קוּמִ֣י לְעַ֑ד
כִּ֣י מִשְׁפָּטִי֩ לֶאֱסֹ֨ף גּוֹיִ֜ם לְקָבְצִ֣י מַמְלָכ֗וֹת לִשְׁפֹּ֨ךְ עֲלֵיהֶ֤ם זַעְמִי֙ כֹּ֚ל חֲר֣וֹן אַפִּ֔י כִּ֚י בְּאֵ֣שׁ קִנְאָתִ֔י תֵּאָכֵ֖ל כָּל־הָאָֽרֶץ
8Therefore you tarry for me, this is an oracle of Yahweh, to the day of my arising for ever.
For my judgment is to gather nations, to collect kingdoms, to pour out on them my indignation, all my fierce anger, for in the fire of my jealousy, all the earth will be devoured.


No comments:

Post a Comment