Thursday 6 November 2014

את

nota accusativi, quod, quod attinet ad; se ipsum; cuius haec formae inveniuntur. [The comment in my Hebrew-Latin concordance].

Does that say anything about 'with'?  Nope - but BDB allows for some usage as a preposition of place. All their examples, however, need analysis and pattern matching. I never really noticed in the psalms. E.g. Psalm 12:5 שְׂפָתֵינוּ אִתָּנוּ. It is too easy to translate as our lips are ours. Certainly it is not with a verb, so it is not a nota accusativi.

Such a study would be a lot of work!

FWIW Joseph Blenkinsopp's 2003 commentary on Isaiah takes the traditional rendering of Isaiah 53:9 (see post at the link and the previous post also) for granted. But denies the reading of 'the rich', reworking the Hebrew slightly to do this. I like the wordplay myself.

Here is a new paper for SBL 2014 by Peter Bekins written for SBL - sorry I can't be there. Read the PDF.

No comments:

Post a Comment