Sunday 3 July 2011

A quick lesson in limits

I am beginning to read at random. I can get a few words in some places without help from dictionaries. Reading a parallel diglot, I can do better but I have to match words occasionally to see where the translators went. Reading this morning in Genesis 24, I realized I am too unfamiliar with this strange tongue to do what I am doing, but equally, if I do not continue, I will never become familiar with it.

I also noticed psalm 45 has masculine singular pointing in verse 16 resolving potential ambiguity in who is being addressed. Hmmm I don't know if it is ambiguous without the pointing. Limited, as I said.

תַּחַת אֲבֹתֶיךָ יִהְיוּ בָנֶיךָ
תְּשִׁיתֵמוֹ לְשָׂרִים בְּכָל הָאָרֶץ
17
Instead of your fathers shall be your children
you will make them chiefs in all the earth
אַזְכִּירָה שִׁמְךָ
בְּכָל דֹּר וָדֹר
עַל כֵּן עַמִּים יְהוֹדוּךָ
לְעֹלָם וָעֶד
18
I will make your name remembered
in all generations
Therefore peoples will thank you
for ever and ever


No comments:

Post a Comment